Ottery St Mary's historic and beautiful church, which has been hallowed by the prayers of the faithful for nearly 700 years. Although it has many historic, beautiful and interesting features, it is still pre-eminently a place of worship, with a large and lively congregation.
The present edifice is largely the work of John de Grandisson, Bishop of Exeter (1312-1369), who built it in 1342, as a “Collegiate Church”, on the lines of the Cathedral. This accounts for its large size for a relatively small town. The north Dorset aisle was added about 1520, since then there have been no additions, although most of the peripheral buildings, e.g. the cloisters, have long since gone. In 1545 the College of Priests was dissolved by decree of King Henry VIII and the buildings and treasures surrendered to his Commissioners.
WHAT TO SEE:
The view up the nave and chancel to the altar screen.
Canopied monuments to Sir Otho and Lady Grandisson.
Bishop Grandisson’s boss at the centre of the tracery above the nave altar.
The Astronomical clock in the south transept, thought to be 14th century.
South transept with its mosaic tiling, the work of William Butterfield under the direction of the first Baron Coleridge.
Altar screen, a conjectural restoration of the original Grandisson screen.
And if you want to keep the children quiet take them to the stocks by the front entrance .
This is a magnetic nano cache but please be carefully as the area is heavily muggled.
Congratulations to Jaynie15 FTF