This church was first planned with the coming of the Rt. Revd. Samuel Neville, Bishop of N.Z. on his pastoral visit to the area in 1873. A committee, headed by Vincent Pike, the Otago Goldfields Secretary, chose the site and began the project which was supported by one of Cromwell's pioneers, John Marsh, who donated the land on which the Church was built. This was contracted to James Taylor, at a cost of 700 pounds, raised by the local community beginning with a parish fair by run by a group of Anglican women.
The church was dedicated to its Patron, Saint Andrew, on 29th November, 1874, the day before his feast day. The consecration had to await the return of Bishop Neville, and was celebrated on February 10th, 1880. The first baby to be baptised was Charlotte Perriam.
Leadlight windows were installed in the east and west walls in 1893, while the fine stained glass windows by the London craftsman, Carl Edwards, were fitted into the sanctuary in the form of a triptych and dedicated by Archdeacon Pywell on Whitsunday, 1966.
Cache contains logbook and pen.