Swavesey was a railway station on the line between Cambridge and St Ives which was opened on 17 August 1847 as a station of the Wisbech, St Ives & Cambridge Junction Railway. Later it was a station on the Great Eastern Railway, between Cambridge and Huntingdon until it was closed to passengers on 5 October 1970. This is how the station looked in the 1950's:
An aerial view of Swavesey Station after the disastrous floods of 1947 which hit the entire Fenland area.
The track and station buildings appear to have been removed in 2007–2008, ready for the construction of the Cambridge Guided Busway which follows the track of the old railway. This view of the present bus stop at Swavesey is where the station once was.
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk