This event involves hiding caches during the time leading up to the SCAR event, finding the SCAR caches over the designated 24 hour period and then meeting up at the BBQ to swap SCAR stories, award prizes & eat burgers!
This means... get out there and HIDE! HIDE! HIDE!
Hide one or more caches between now and Saturday May 19th at midnight. Caches hidden for the event are to be placed and submitted on or before May 20th to ensure that the reviewer has sufficient time to approve all the hides.
Please include SCAR2018 at the end of the title (e.g. My Cool Cache - SCAR2018) to facilitate searches by keyword. Please do not put a space between the word & the number.
All SCAR caches should include a note to the reviewer stating that it is placed for the SCAR event and should be published the evening of Thursday May 24th, 24ish hours before the official kick off of the SCAR event. Please mention on your cache page that the cache is for the SCAR event, and should not be sought out until after 5:30 pm on May 25th.
The idea here is to give everyone time to look at the cache listings and devise their battle plans for when the hunt begins at 5:30 pm.
We encourage creativity so here are some rules about hides placed for SCAR:
- Any and all types of caches are allowed.
- All caches sizes are allowed.
- All hides must be hidden within approximately 100 km of N 52° 08.062 W 106° 38.859 which is the starting point for this year.
- All hides must be made to remain permanent following the event for everyone to find at their leisure.
- If you plan to make your cache available only for premium members, we ask you to make them public for the duration of the event and change them to 'premium members only' status afterwards.
- We appreciate it if participants hide at least one cache but it is not a requirement. If you are from out of town & want to participate in hiding, talk to local cachers about adopting or maintaining your SCAR cache. We all benefit from caches being hidden & the more that are hidden specifically for this event the more fun this 24 hour hunting marathon will be for everyone.
- If you do not know how to hide a cache then please email us & we will be happy to help you hide your first cache.
At 5:30pm on Friday May 25th, all SCAR caches become fair game and the hunt begins. If your Geocaching User name includes more than one person, all members of the Geocaching User Name who are caching during the event must be at each cache together at the same time. Feel free to find as many or as few caches as you can and want.
During the hunt, please document the time of your find in the logbook to inform subsequent finders how close they are behind you. You may also want to carry a notebook because you will want to keep track of your stats over the weekend.
Please note that if you are caching with a group of cachers you all share the stats for example if your group is the first to find a cache, you all share that honour & the next group to come along will count the second to find. The hunt for the SCAR2018 event ends at 5:30pm May 26th, 2018.
At 6 pm Saturday May 26th, we will gather for a meal to share stories and to award prizes for achievements accomplished during the event. This year for the BBQ, we have again rented the Floral Community Centre just outside of Saskatoon located at N 52° 03.410 W 106° 31.020.
This year we have an autographed George Reed jersey that will be won by one lucky person though the method is yet to be finalized. There will also be an assortment of items up for raffle.
We will start the awards portion of the evening around 7:30 pm. Be sure to be there early enough that your stats can be included when calculating who gets which awards so that you don't miss out. The festivities should finish sometime between 8 and 9 pm.
SAGA will provide the burgers, hotdogs & the condiments, all we ask is that you drop a loonie per person in the pot to help cover costs. If possible please bring either a salad or dessert to share with the group. If not - no worries, please come anyway as there is always a lot of food & the more people the merrier. You also need to bring your own drinks (non-alcoholic only) & portable chairs of your choice.
Please note in your 'will attend' log if you intend on appearing at the BBQ and how many will be accompanying you so we can have an idea of numbers. All cachers are welcome whether or not you've participated in the rest of SCAR2018 or not. The more the merrier!
Also, we anticipate continuing our tradition of having another couple of events accompanying this main event. Keep an eye out for these events to be published closer to SCAR weekend
Credit should be given for accomplishments achieved during the event. We will award these prizes at The Gathering.
The categories include (but are not limited to):
- Cacher with the most hides (a 1-year premium membership is up for grabs!)
- Cacher with the most finds
- Cacher with the most FTFs
- Cacher with the most STFs
- Cacher with the most DNF's (If you need to get a hint from another cacher before finding the cache, this counts towards your DNF total)
Anyone who is hiding a cache for the first time will have their name entered in a draw for a geocoin.
All SCAR caches should be made permanent for all cachers to find at their leisure following the event. Remember whatever you hide you must maintain. Hopefully you all will get busy with lots of hides to help make this event a success as well as increase our cache population in the Saskatoon area. Its always great to see lots of participation. Hopefully the weather this year will cooperate. Nothing like a fresh batch of hides and a 24 hour marathon of cache hunting to get your blood pumping :)
Feel free to include the SCAR2018 logo on your cache listings or use it anyway you like as long as its in a respectable manner [;p]