Skip to content

Canberra's First Schoolhouse Traditional Cache

Hidden : 4/26/2018
Difficulty:
3 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Canberra’s first schoolhouse was built in 1845 by Robert Campbell of Duntroon for the education of workers’ children. Consisting of a schoolroom with five attached rooms it served as the residence for the schoolmaster and his family. ​ The building was constructed from rubble and bluestone quarried locally, with shingle roof and the walls being two feet thick to afford protection from Canberra’s harsh climate. Children walked across the fields to attend school and pioneering families on the school roll include the Blundell children who lived in Blundell's Cottage, one of the few stone buildings of its type to have survived intact in the ACT. ​

The school's first 30 or so years were far from easy. Suitable teachers were hard to attract to small rural communities and retaining them was difficult. Reports from teachers during these early years reflected the hardships they experienced, including meagre funding and social isolation. ​ The Schoolhouse finally closed as a school in 1907 and in 1969 it opened as a museum. It is set up to depict schooling in the 1870s. Today’s children like to ring the school bell, sit at the old desks, gaze at photographs of 19th century school pupils and play simple but entertaining children's games of an earlier age. ​ Visitors will find extensive photographic displays which show the growth and development of Canberra from a scattered farming community to the national capital. Scrapbooks dating from 1954 to the present are held at the Schoolhouse. They consist of newspaper cuttings, brochures, photos, letters and journal articles relating to the Schoolhouse, St John’s Church, other Canberra churches, the Campbell family and the history of Canberra. Royal visits, heritage issues and other local interest stories are also included. St John's Schoolhouse Museum .

The museum is free to enter and only open on Wednesdays 10 am till noon and weekends 2pmtill 4 pm,plus spme school holidays. The caches is not in the museum. The cache is well hidden and stealth will be required.Please rehide anything you find at exact angles and positions you find it .

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Unatvat - ohfu

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)