This is the site of the former Brick Wharf, at the end of Brick Wharf Road. This site played a significant role in the development of Woy Woy, The Peninsula, the Central Coast and railways in Australia.
Before the arrival of the railway, Woy Woy and The Peninsula was cut off from the outside world, accessible only by boat. Small settlers took up land on the ocean shores, while the rugged terrain made the area a haven for smugglers, moonshiners, escapee convicts and ticket-of-leave men.
However, the arrival of the railway line in 1888 enabled rapid development of the town.
The railway was connected to Sydney by the Woy Woy tunnel. This 1.79km (1.11 mi) tunnel was for a long time the longest in NSW and was constructed using 10,000,000 bricks supplied by Gore Hill Brickworks.
To get the bricks from Gore Hill to Woy Woy they were shipped by Rock Davis of Blackwall to Brick Wharf. They were then transported along a rail line (now Brick Wharf Rd) to the construction camp.
One of the most common stories about the old Brick Wharf railway line was that the Woy Woy Hotel (located closer to town on Brick Wharf Rd) was built from bricks “borrowed” from the train passing by for the railway tunnel. It’s unclear if this story is true or not.
The cache here is a film canister hiding in its small hidey-hole with a view over the water. Look low, and please replace the camo to ensure it stays safe from the many muggles who visit the area.