This is a multi-cache with a micro container at the end. It is a replacement for a very good multi now archived. (The trail will take you around Peebles to four of the many bridges over the Tweed and its tributary the Eddleston Water (known locally as "The Cuddy")
The information required to complete this cache (with the exception of "D" and "G") is inscribed on the bridges' stonework or on information plaques attached to the bridges. It should take you about an hour to complete the cache.
NOTE:- There are several car parks in Peebles. They have differing charging arrangements. Beware the Traffic Warden!!
"A" Bridge N 55° 38.973 W003° 11.257
This is a late Victorian suspension foot bridge constructed in 1905. Find the third letter of the bridge name and using A=1, B=2, C=3 etc, this number = A.
B, C, D, E, Tweed Bridge N 55° 39.014 W 003° 11.555
(Stretching from Port Brae on the north side of the Tweed to Kingsmeadows Road on the south side.)
“B” & “C” The first stone bridge was built about 1465-70 replacing an earlier wooden structure, the original width of the bridge was 2.4m. In 1799 one or two arches were added at the south end, to be replaced in the 19th century by a square-section railway span. The bridge has been widened twice: in 18B4 on both sides to a width of 6.4 m and again in 190C to 12m. The widenings can be clearly seen from underneath the arches on the north side of the river.
“D” The number of Dolphine Lamps on the bridge = "D".
“E” The Highways Act of 19E0 states that this way is not dedicated to the public!
F Cuddy Bridge. N 55° 39.107 W 003° 11.552
“F” First erected in the 15th century, this bridge now carries the bulk of the traffic on the western approach to Peebles. The early structure was replaced in 1857 and again in 198F.
G & H Fotheringham Bridge. N 55° 39.058 W 003° 12.314
“G” How many steps up to the bridge on the North side = G.
“H” This bridge was a gift made by J S Fotheringham who left Peebles in 1904 when his family emigrated to South Africa. It was opened on the 24 October 1953. It was reopened on 13 March 2006, after refurbishment, by a local councillor. This councillor’s name contains one letter which appears more times than any other. How many times = H.
The final cache is close to the river Tweed (but hopefully above flood level) at the following co-ordinates:
N55° 3A.CD(B-3) W003° 1(H-B).(E+1)(F+1)(G-1)