Awahou School was opened in 1894. The original school house was very small, and within only a couple of years, needed to be expanded to fit all the students. Some were initially critical of its location - directly opposite the Pohangina township on the other side of the river, suggesting that it should have positioned further south so that students could have accessed the school using the Ferry Road crossing, from both sides of the river. Later, in 1902, the Awahou South School was opened on No. 4 Line, which catered for children at the southern end of the Valley (see Wildbore 1). In 1972, Awahou South and Komako Schools were closed and merged with Awahou School. Today, the roll is just over 40. Playgroup for preschool children is held in the church that was relocated to the school in 1967 (see Wildbore 4).
This photograph shows six pupils from Awahou North School with the headmaster Mr R G Cresswell beside the school baths. It was taken on the occasion of the announcement that Awahou North would remain open while four other schools in the Pohangina area would close.
Cache is plastic container. Logged finds not matching log-sheet will be removed. Cache +/- 2m. BYOP. FTF: Pushn_East