Risca RFC was founded in 1875 and it has been one of the leading clubs in what was, before the advent of the leagues, known as the "Monmouthshire League".
Many fine players who have worn the black and amber jersey have gone on to play at the higher level for Newport, Newbridge, Cross Keys and to gain representative Honours with Crawshays and at International Level.
Long history of the club began in the 19th century when a group of quarrymen at Risca Quarry each put six pence a week from their pay to a kitty until they had enough cash to start a rugby club in Risca. They purchased Jerseys, knicks and a ball and they got permission to play on the Church House Field, opposite the Church House Hotel. The landlord agreed that they could change at the back of the pub and wash in tin baths. He also provided the sawdust to mark out the pitch. No formal records were kept of the few games played against some scratch sides assembled for each occasion, so the match results are not available.
Church House Field was an open field and the club soon moved to play on a well grassed and more suitable field lower down, called Dr. Robathan's Field (Grove Road today). During the few years the club spent at this new base, their first committee was formed. Eventually their playing field was purchased by Risca Council for the building of houses (Grove Road and Exchange Road). The only field available for the enforced move was at Pontymister, where Ty-Isaf Estate now stands. As this field was so far away, the club decided to change its name to Pontymister RFC. Pontymister become the most powerful playing club in the Monmouthshire valleys. Capped players from the Monmouthshire valleys were few and far between and they usually found their way to the bigger clubs, such as Newport, to receive their due recognition.
RISCA RFC re-emerged in 1906 and settled down permanently at the Stores Field. During the 1920s, many prominent people of Welsh Rugby were to be found amongst the players or committee of Risca Rugby Club, too many to mention individually. However, special mention should be made of their 17 year old trainer at the time, who went on to become world-famous in rugby circles. The young trainer was Ray Lewis, "Mr. Magic hands", who progressed to become trainer of Cross Keys, Newport and Wales. His son, Gerry, took over his duties as Wales' official masseur following his father's death in 1969.
Over the years Risca have supplied Newport with many fine players - four of them becoming captains of that famous club. The reverse was rarely the case and most of Risca's captains have been born, bred and learned the basics of the game with Risca. From 1921 to 1958 there was never one season without at least one ex-Risca player in the Newport first team, a period of 37 years!
The 2013/14 season saw Risca win the WRU League Division 3 title and therefore gained promotion. However, with the restructure of the leagues, Risca RFC now play in Division 1 East. A level of rugby not experienced before by the club.
A progressive club with facilities which are the envy of many clubs, both great and small. With a thriving mini and junior section, and a successful youth team, the future for Risca Rugby Club looks bright and is a tribute to those few quarrymen who founded the club over 125 years ago. As an interesting aside, the ground is now also home to a new American Flag Football team called the Gwent Gators
The cache is a classic black magnetic nano with parking available at the location. Congratulations to Walking GB on the rapid FTF
The Rugby Club Micro Series is a series established by fdwhitefoot. If anyone would like to place a Football Micro cache, integrate an existing cache into the series, or for any other information regarding the series then please e-mail fdwhitefoot@yahoo.co.uk or message fdwhitefoot via Geocaching.com. Cache series numbers will also be issued via this email to avoid duplication and to be included in a public bookmark list. This list may be viewed at Rugby Club Micro Series Bookmark List.