IL PARCO DEL COLLE OPPIO
Molte persone (primi fra tutti i geocacher) vengono a Roma come turisti
e si lamentano che la città fa schifo, che è sempre sporca.
Bene, allora rimbocchiamoci tutti le maniche e puliamo uno dei posti più frequentati di Roma
specialmente dai turisti!
L'evento inizierà il 16 Settembre alle 10:30 e terminerà alle 11:30.
Dopo la pulizia dell'aerea ci sarà un piccolo rinfresco offerto dai Geocacher Romani. Ad ogni modo se qualcuno vorrà portare qualcosa (cibo, dolci, bevande etc...) ovviamente sarà ben accetto!
IL PARCO DEL COLLE OPPIO
Many people (Geocachers first) come to Rome as tourists
and complain that it sucks, which is always dirty.
Well, then give us a hand to clean up one of the most frequented areas of Rome
mainly by tourists!
The event will start 16th September at 10:30 am and will continue till 11:30 am.
After the cleaning of the area, there will be a light refreshment offered by the Roman Geocachers. In any case if someone will bring some food or soft drinks, it will be appreciated.
The Oppian Hill (Latin, Oppius Mons; Italian: Colle Oppio) is the southern spur of the Esquiline Hill, one of the Seven Hills of Rome, Italy. It is separated from the Cispius on the north by the valley of the Suburra, and from the Caelian Hill on the south by the valley of the Colosseum. The Oppius and the Cispius together form the Esquiline plateau just inside the line of the Servian Wall.
In the divisions of the Septimontium (seven hills) Fagutal appears as an independent locality, from which we can infer that originally "Oppius" was strictly applied to this spur except the western end. The northern tip of this western end was also called Carinae, which extended between the Velian Hill and the Clivus Pullius, looked out to the southwest (across the swamps of the Palus Ceroliaetowards the Aventine), incorporated the Fagutal and was one of ancient Rome's most exclusive neighborhoods.
At least for religious purposes the name Oppius continued in use to the end of the republic; no later instance has been found. According to Varro its name derives from Oppius, a citizen of Tusculum who came to the Romans' assistance during Tullus Hostilius's siege of Veii. However, the word's true etymology is obscure. It may possibly be that of a clan that lived in this area, a gens name of plebeian status. Detlefsen's conjecture that Oppius is derived from Oppidus was revived by Pinza, who regards the name as comparatively late.
The Oppian Hill Park (Italian: Parco del Colle Oppio) covers about eleven hectares. It was developed in 1871, as part of the urban reorganization that followed the establishment of Rome as the capital of Italy. From that time the area was used as a public garden. But it was during the fascist era when work was carried out to give the park its present appearance. This was planned in 1928 under the guidance of the architect Raffaele De Vico, and completed in 1936. Work included the fountains, statues and marble sculptures that decorate the park today.  A central avenue leads down the hill to the Colosseum, providing an attractive view.
The Oppian Hill Park is considered to be an archaeological park. Much of the Domus Aurea (Golden House of Nero) lies under it, and it also contains the ruins of the Baths of Trajan and the earlier Baths of Titus.