This disused station lies on the old Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, built in the late 19th century to connect the Caledonian Railway to the docks, shipyards and factories on the north bank of the Clyde. Although initially a busy and successful line, when the industries it served began to decline, traffic fell and the line was closed in 1964. Much of the route was built over but this section was eventually incorporated into National Cycle Route 7, running from Sunderland to Inverness. It now makes for a pleasant and surprisingly green stroll through what used to be the industrial heartland of the city.
The cache is located on a raised section of the disused railway (and present cycling route) near the remains of Scotstoun East station. The station was originally opened as ‘Victoria Park’ in 1896 before being renamed twice; first to ‘Scotstoun’ in 1900 and then to ‘Scotstoun East’ in 1952. The station closed in 1964 along with the rest of the line. Although most of the platform buildings are now gone, the platform itself is largely intact, as are the stairs that originally led down to street level and the boarded-up ticket office under the Scotstoun Street bridge. A modern doocot has been erected on the western end of the platform.
Please bring your own tweezers and a pencil to sign the log book in this cache.
For more information about the SideTracked series, please visit: https://www.sidetrackedseries.info/