A series of 3 hides along this lovely walk along the Kennet and Avon canal between Kintbury and Hungerford. I have provided a potted history of the Kennet and Avon, making particular reference to this stretch of the canal.
In 1770 the management began to study the possibility of linking the river Kennet to the River Avon by means of a new canal. The original planned route was by way of Hungerford, Marlborough, Calne, and Chippenham to Bath. Nothing came of this idea at first, and, on 10th March, 1788, a meeting took place in Hungerford to promote the scheme or, in the parlance of the day, "to consider the Utility of an Extension of the Navigable River from Newbury to Hungerford and as far as further as shall hereafter be thought eligible". The meeting supported the idea, and a further meeting was called, including "gentlemen from Hungerford, Marlborough and their neighbourhoods".
Work started both at Newbury and Bradford-on-Avon in October 1794, and proceeded steadily. However, the inflationary effect of the Napoleonic Wars resulted in a quarter of the shareholders being behind with their payments by July 1796, and by April 1797 work on the canal had to be slowed considerably.
The opening of the canal to Kintbury, 1797: However, Walter Money, in his History of Newbury 1887, was able to report that 'the first section of the Kennet and Avon Canal between Newbury and Kintbury, a distance of six miles, was opened on June 12th, 1797. A barge of nearly 60 tons, having on board the band of the 15th Regiment of Dragoons, then stationed in Newbury, left that place at twelve o'clock and arriving at Kintbury at half-past two, where the Committee of the Canal, having dined with the Chairman, Mr Charles Dundas, embarked at six o'clock, and arrived at Newbury about half-past nine, the passage of the party affording great interest to a large number of persons assembled at different points on the route.'
The opening of the canal to Hungerford, 1798: Despite growing financial problems with the company, progress at the eastern end was good: the Kintbury to Hungerford section was opened in October 1798. The Bath Chronicle reported that 'on Tuesday the ninth instant, a Barge, having on board a staircase of wrought Portland Stone for J. Pearce, Esq., of Chilton Lodge, several casks of Russian tallow, . . . making in the whole about 40 tons weight, was navigated on the Kennet and Avon Canal from Newbury to Hungerford.''
Through the 20th century the trade progressively reduced, but during the 1960s and increasingly active group of enthusiasts worked to bring about the restoration of the Kennet and Avon Canal - and eventually formed the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust. In the summer of 1974 the canal was re-opened to Hungerford wharf once again, and the canal locally began its new life as a pleasure and tourist attraction. Narrow boats are increasingly popular, as are walking, fishing, and cycling. The restoration of the entire canal was celebrated when her Majesty The Queen re-opened the canal in 1990.