Skip to content

Adelaide Church Micro #9 - Holy Trinity Adelaide Multi-Cache

Hidden : 8/21/2018
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


This collection of caches is based on the Church Micro series in the UK, which has over 12,000 caches. Given that Adelaide is affectionately known as the City of Churches it seems appropriate to have a small series hidden at historical churches. 

Adelaide Church Micro - Holy Trinity Adelaide

This is a simple offset multi. Visit the church to gain the coords for the final which is a short distance away. BYOP.

The final can be found at S34 55.ABC E138 35.DEF

Below the information sign at posted coordinates is a large inlaid plaque, from this plaque 

A - On second line final number in year
B - Number of letters in first word of third line
C - Fourth line up from bottom of plaque refers to a parsonage, what is the written number associated with the parsonage?

From information board at posted coordinates
D - From phone number at the bottom of the sign, add fourth, fifth and six numbers together
E - Fourth digit of phone number

F - From phone number sixth digit minus fifth digit

checksum = 18

The church was built in three main stages. It was originally planned that the church would be a prefabricated building imported from England; however, when the prefabricated building arrived from England badly damaged, it was decided instead to build a stone church. Governor Hindmarsh laid the foundation stone on 28 January 1838 and the church opened in about August that year, within two years of the settlement of Adelaide. The building quickly became a landmark with its "peaked cap" top tower and the Vulliamy clock.

In 1844 the church was closed for repairs and the clock was removed for safekeeping. The body of the church was rebuilt and re-roofed and the tower lost its peaked cap. It reopened in August 1845. When Bishop Short arrived in 1847, Holy Trinity assumed many of the functions of a cathedral and was - until other congregations (especially Christ Church, North Adelaide) were established — the place of worship for the governors, many of the colony’s prominent families and the military.

In 1878, there was a proposal to rebuild when some money was subscribed, but this did not take place until the congregation decided in the mid-1880s to completely rebuild the church to a design by the prominent architect Edward John Woods, using the mellow sandstone which eventually weathered to match the original limestone. It was around this time that the Church name of "Holy Trinity" became current. *wikipedia

Today the Church is known as Trinity City.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

euvab-zntargvp-pbeare

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)