Skip to content

<

[Luynes] Le centre bourg

A cache by ipln Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 09/12/2018
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


 

Le centre bourg

par ipln  |  GC7XH59  |  Luynes



De la cache, vous pouvez admirer autour de vous trois édifices historiques : l’église Sainte-Geneviève, les halles et la maison de marchands.


► L’église actuelle date des années 1870. Les vitraux, réalisés par les ateliers Lobin de Tours vers 1878, présentent notamment des saints locaux (la bienheureuse Jeanne-Marie de Maillé), et les portraits des donateurs (duc et duchesse de Luynes, le curé Brette, madame Pimparé). Une première église dédiée à Sainte Geneviève existait dès le milieu du Xème siècle, occupant la partie nord de l’église actuelle. Mais son état de vétusté était tel qu’il fut décidé de la raser et d’en construire une autre plus grande. Mis à part deux statues, rien ne fut conservé de la première église.


► Les halles furent bâties au cours du XVème siècle, à l’époque où de riches marchands s’installèrent à Maillé (ancien nom de Luynes) sous la protection du puissant baron. Les halles constituaient le centre de la place du marché qui s’étendait jusqu’au carrefour à l’ouest. Au XVIIème siècle, un quart de la halle fut rasé et une autre partie fut incluse dans ce qui devait être le palais de justice du duché de Luynes (aujourd’hui la salle des fêtes). De nos jours, les halles accueillent toujours le marché de Luynes, tous les samedis matins.


► La maison de marchands date de la fin du XVème siècle. Elle repose sur une vaste cave voûtée possédant un puits intérieur. La façade sur rue est classée, l’espace situé en avant constituait autrefois la place du marché. Les poteaux supportant l’étage sont sculptés de personnages pour la plupart à caractère religieux. La fonction de ces sculptures était d’attirer protection et abondance sur les propriétaires de la demeure et sur leur commerce.


 

From the cache, you can admire around you three historic buildings: the Sainte-Geneviève church, the market halls and the merchants' house.


► The present church dates from the 1870s. The stained glass windows, made by the Lobin workshops of Tours around 1878, include local saints (Blessed Jeanne-Marie de Maillé), and the portraits of the donors (Duke and Duchess of Luynes, the curate Brette, Madame Pimparé). A first church dedicated to Saint Genevieve existed as early as the middle of the 10th century, occupying the northern part of the present church. But its state of obsolescence was such that it was decided to shave it and build another larger one. Apart from two statues, nothing was preserved from the first church.


► The halls were built during the 15th century, when wealthy merchants settled in Maillé (former name of Luynes) under the protection of the powerful baron. The halls were the center of the market square that extended to the junction to the west. In the 17th century, a quarter of the hall was razed and another part was included in what was to be the court house of the Duchy of Luynes (today the village hall). Today, the halls are still home to the Luynes market, every Saturday morning.


► The merchants' house dates from the end of the 15th century. It rests on a vast vaulted cellar with an internal well. The facade on the street is classified, the space in front was once the market square. The posts supporting the floor are carved characters mostly religious. The function of these sculptures was to attract protection and abundance to the owners of the house and their business.


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[FR] Qevat ! Ra unhgrhe / [EN] Qevat! Ba gur gbc.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)