About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Waitara Station
Waitara station is the last stop on the North Shore line before it merges with the Northern line at Hornsby. The station opened on 20 April 1895, and the original station was replaced by the present structure in 1909 when the line was duplicated.
The station consists of 2 platforms sharing a single island, with access to the station from a tunnel at the south-eastern end. There are a few shops on the southern side of the station and a Leagues club on the northern side, with a number of car yards along Pacific Highway. There are a number of schools nearby, hence the station is fairly busy around school times if quiet at other times; it ranks 81st in the network with about 3,000 daily users.
Waitara is a word in the New Zealand Maori language that means hail, pure water or hail, wide steps. Waitara is a town in New Zealand. Myles McRae once owned land in Southern Sydney, near Hurstville. When he sold that land to a development company, the manager used the name Waitara for the subdivision project. McCrae later bought land near Hornsby and when the railway station opened in 1895 he suggested the name Waitara, which was formally adopted.