Skip to Content

<

First 50 Heroes – Sidney Summers

A cache by prodhomme Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 11/11/2018
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


First 50 Heroes – Sidney Summers

Sidney Summers est né sur Ashburton Road, sur Hugglescote. Sa famille vit à la maison portant le numéro 152. Il est né dans les années 1890 et a fréquenté l’église St. John The Baptist. Il a également étudié à l'école de l'église.
Il s'est enrôlé début septembre 1914 dans le 5e bataillon du Leicestershire. Bien qu’il soit relativement tardif, la politique du régiment consistait à garder les frères ensemble, si possible à ce stade de la guerre. Quand un bon ami à lui, Bill Massey, a été tué en août 1915, il a écrit une lettre très compatissante aux parents de Bill, expliquant comment il avait été tué et combien il était aimé. Sidney est resté au sein du bataillon pendant trois ans et demi jusqu'à sa mort, le 24 septembre 1918, lors de l'assaut du village de Pontruet, en France. Le conflit se déroulait initialement dans une semi-obscurité avec une brume épaisse, un barrage lourd et beaucoup de fumée.

50 first heroes

La série Coalville Heroes célèbre les cinquante premiers volontaires de la région de Coalville à prendre part à la Grande Guerre de 1914-18. La plupart se sont inscrits en août 1914 et sont partis suivre un entraînement le 30 octobre 1914. Ils se sont entraînés à High Tor à Charnwood et à Loughborough, puis se sont rendus à Southampton pour prendre le bateau pour la France. Sur les 50 soldats volontaires, 22 sont revenus. Chaque géocache commémore un véritable soldat volontaire.

PONTRUET

Comme d'autres villages de la région, Pontruet est sorti meurtrie de la Grande Guerre car le village a été entièrement rasé en 1917 par les Allemands. Le 28 août 1914, soit moins d'un mois après la déclaration de guerre, l'armée française bat en retraite vers l'ouest et les Allemands arrivent à Pontruet. Dès lors commença l'occupation allemande qui dura jusqu'en mars 1917. Le front se situant à une vingtaine de kilomètres à l'ouest vers Péronne, l'activité des occupants consistait principalement à assurer le logement des combattants et l'approvisionnement en nourriture. Des arrêtés de la kommandantur obligeaient, à date fixe, sous la responsabilité du maire et du conseil municipal, sous peine de sanctions, la population à fournir : blé, œufs, lait, viande, légumes, destinés à nourrir les soldats du front. Toutes les personnes valides devaient effectuer des travaux agricoles ou d'entretien. Voici des extraits d'un arrêté de la kommandantur d'Holnon valable pour 25 communes de la région: " Holnon le 22 juillet 1915. Tous les ouvriers et les femmes et les enfants de 15 ans sont obligés de faire travaux des champs tous les jours aussi dimanche de quatre heure du matin jusque huit heure du soir... Après la récolte les fainéants seront emprisonnés 6 mois... Les femmes fainéantes seront exilées à Holnon pour travailler. Après la récolte, les femmes seront emprisonnées 6 mois... Les enfants fainéants seront punis de coups de bâton. De plus le commandant réserve de punir les ouvriers fainéants de 20 coups de bâton tous les jours...Les ouvriers de la commune Vendelles sont punis sévèrement". En février 1917, le général Hindenburg décida de la création d'une ligne défense à l'arrière du front ; lors du retrait des troupes allemandes, tous les villages seraient détruits pour ne pas servir d'abri aux troupes franco-anglaises. Dès le 15 février les habitants furent évacués, emmenés à Saint-Quentin et dispersés dans des lieux occupés, jusqu'en Belgique. En mars 1917, avant du retrait des troupes allemandes sur la ligne Hindenburg, le long du canal de Saint-Quentin, les maisons sont pillées et incendiées, le village est systématiquement détruit. L'église, la mairie, les écoles et toutes les maisons sont dynamitées et les arbres sciés à 1 m de hauteur.Le village, vidé de ses habitants, reste occupé par les Allemands ; il est repris le 8 avril 1917 après de durs combats par les troupes britanniques. Les ruines du village seront plusieurs fois reprises par chaque camp et n'est que le 18 septembre 1918, lors de la bataille de la ligne Hindenburg que Pontruet sera définitivement libérée par la 24e division britannique. Après l'Armistice, de nombreux habitants ne revinrent pas s'installer dans la commune et, avec les dommages de guerre, commencèrent une nouvelle vie dans d'autres lieux. Pour ceux qui furent de retour commença une longue période de plus de dix ans de reconstruction des habitations (maisons provisoires), des fermes, des bâtiments publics, des routes. De 390 habitants habitants avant la guerre, Pontruet n'en comptait plus que 188 en 1921, soit moins de la moitié. Vu les souffrances endurées par la population pendant les quatre années d'occupation et les dégâts aux constructions, la commune s'est vu décerner la Croix de guerre 1914-1918 (France) le 17 octobre 1920. Sur le monument aux morts inauguré le 23 août 1925 sont inscrits les noms des 9 soldats de Pontruet morts pour la France et de 21 civils.

https://youtu.be/Zq4-AeN6Was


First 50 Heroes – Sidney Summers

Sidney Summers was born on Hugglescote's Ashburton Road. His family living at house number 152. He was born in the 1890s and worshipped at St. John The Baptist Church and also attended the Chruch school.
He enlisted in early September 1914, into the 5th Leicestershire Battalion. Although a relatively late entrant it was regimental policy to keep brothers together where possible at this stage of the war. When a good friend of his, Bill Massey, was killed in August 1915, he wrote a very compassionate letter to Bill's parents, explaining how he was killed, and how much he was liked. Sidney remained with the Battalion for three-and-a-half years until he was killed on the 24th September 1918 during the storming of the village of Pontruet, in France. The conflict was initially fought in semi-darkness with a thick mist, a heavy barrage and with lots of smoke.

50 first heroes

The Coalville Heroes series celebrates the first fifty volunteers from the Coalville area to take part in the Great War of 1914-18. Most enrolled in August 1914 and left for training on October 30th 1914. They trained at High Tor in Charnwood and Loughborough, then traveled to Southampton to take the steamer to France. Of the 50 volunteer soldiers, 22 returned. Each geocache commemorating a true volunteer soldier.

PONTRUET

As other villages in the region, Pontruet emerged bruised from the Great War because the village was completely destroyed in 1917 by the Germans. On August 28th 1914, less than a month after the declaration of war, the French army retreated to the west and the Germans arrived at Pontruet. Then began the German occupation which lasted until March 1917. The front was located about twenty kilometers west towards Péronne, the activity of the occupants consisted mainly to assure the lodging of the combatants and the supply of food . Orders of the Kommandantur obliged, on a fixed date, under the responsibility of the mayor and the municipal council, that could reach to sanctions, the population to provide : wheat, eggs, milk, meat, vegetables, intended to feed the soldiers of the front. All valid people were required to perform agricultural or maintenance work. Here are excerpts from a decree of the Kommandantur Holnon valid for 25 villages in the region: "Holnon July 22nd 1915. All workers and women and children aged 15 are obliged to do field work every day also Sunday from four in the morning until eight in the evening ... After the harvest the slackers will be thrown to jail for six months ... The slacker women will be exiled to Holnon for work After the harvest, the women will be jailed for 6 months ... The lazy children will be punished with sticks, and the commander will punish the slackers with 20 sticks every day ... The workers of Vendelles are severely punished ". In February 1917, General Hindenburg decided to create a line of defense at the rear of the front ; when the German troops withdraw, all the villages would be destroyed so as not to shelter the Franco-British troops. From February 15th the inhabitants were evacuated, taken to Saint-Quentin and dispersed in occupied places, until Belgium. In March 1917, before the withdrawal of German troops on the Hindenburg line , along the Saint-Quentin canal, houses were looted and burned, the village was systematically destroyed. The church, the town hall, the schools and all the houses are dynamited and the trees sawn at 1 m height. The village, emptied of its inhabitants, remains occupied by the Germans ; it is resumed April 8th 1917 after hard fighting by the British troops. The ruins of the village will be repeated several times by each camp and is only September 18th 1918, during the battle of the Hindenburg line that Pontruet will be finally released by the 24th British division. After the Armistice, many inhabitants did not return to settle in the commune and, with the war damages, began a new life in other places. For those who returned, a long period of more than ten years of rebuilding dwellings (temporary houses), farms, public buildings, roads, began. From 390 inhabitants before the war, Pontruet had only 188 in 1921, less than half. Given the suffering endured by the population during the four years of occupation and damage to buildings, the town was awarded the Croix de Guerre 1914-1918 (France) October 17th 1920. On the monument to the dead inaugurated on August 23, 1925 are inscribed the names of the 9 soldiers of Pontruet dead for France and 21 civilians.

https://youtu.be/Zq4-AeN6Was

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

SE: nh cvrq qr y'neoer cyrva qr yvreer.RA: ng gur Obggbz bs gur gerr shyy bs vil

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.