REALLY SideTracked - Cliburn
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Cliburn Station was opened to passengers on the 9th of June 1862 as part of the Eden Valley Railway Company's line between the Lancashire Union Station at Kirby Stephen, and a junction with the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway at Clifton. There were also stations on this line at Musgrave, Warcop, Appleby, Kirby Thore and Temple Sowerby. Construction started in 1858 and the line was opened in 1862 (note the existing 1860 date stone on the old station building).
The line was subsumed into the North Eastern Railway in 1863, which was in turn swallowed up into the LNER.
Although the trackbed was wide enough for twin lines, only one was ever installed, and indeed only one platform was built at this station. The station building still survives (as a private dwelling) as does the signal box, which controlled the level crossing (which is now a holiday cottage).
After World War 2, and the advent of motor transport, the passenger numbers fell dramatically (and indeed were never high), and the station closed to passenger traffic on the 17th September 1956.
Orgjrra Obhyqre naq Jnyy