How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This is one of the worlds northernmost caches!
It is hidden at 78°N and 515 m above sea level in beautiful arctic surroundings close to the city of Longyearbyen at Svalbard/Spitsbergen. Although the terrain is steep with loose rocks at some parts, a visit is highly recommended!
During a summer course at Svalbard I decided to place a GPS cache hoping for it to be the worlds northernmost!
Through brief search at the geocaching.com pages I realized that there are people hiding caches everywhere, even at
82°N in Nunavut, Canada ("As North As It Gets!" by Iceshelf 2002 Research Team, May 2002)!!!! (visit link)
My cache is placed at the mountain Sarkofagen at "only"
78°N and can be reached by foot from Nybyen (totally 3h).
The cache is hidden in the lowest (of 2, so far...) pile of rocks at the very top with a fabulous view over Longyearbyen and the many surrounding glaciers, mountain peaks and valleys!
So people, go and get it!!
Or enjoy the pictures from the hiding!!
Vs lbh trg gb gur gbc lbh pnag zvff gur pnpur hayrff vg vf erzbirq ol Zbgure Angher...
- Laila & Steffen by the cacheThe cache is hidden in the pile of stones in front of us!
- By the cache: Laila, Marieke & Steffen
- Sarkofagen You can see Nordenskioldtoppen and Longyearbreen to the right and Larsbreen to the left!
- Laila and the rifle at SarkofagenWhatch out you polarbears!!!!!!
- Marieke at the top
- SvalbardrypeOn the way home we got close contact with a family of Svalbardryper (grouse species only found at Svalbard)!
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum