The church of St Mary the Virgin consists of a tower and spire, north and south aisles, chancel and north porch, all constructed of local stone. The foundations of the present church are Norman and a number of Norman features still remain. The church was dedicated in 1147 and people have worshipped God there ever since.
The tower and spire were rebuilt in 1862 and the church itself was restored in 1867. A further major restoration and re-organisation took place in 1969 when the Revd Derek Hole was the Rector. Following the 1867 restoration the then Rector, Revd Francis Browne Newman, left a report concerning these works, as can be seen from the following extracts dated 1868: “. . . apart from serious damage there was much to disquiet Sunday thoughts, and mar Sunday clothes, by the ready entrance of wind, rain and snow through the perishing oak boarding above. The flooring was often soaked, yards of it had disappeared altogether, and the remainder was in a pitiable condition.
“In the tower there were very alarming settlements. It was literally split in two from top to bottom, arising partly from the erection of a spire upon a tower never intended to carry one, and partly from the structural defects in the base of the spire itself. The best professional advice was sought. When it came it ran, briefly to this effect: ‘take the spire carefully down, rebuild the tower from the foundations and then replace the spire but don’t attempt any repairs of the church until the tower and spire have been securely re-erected; the case admits of no delay.’
Of three storeys the tower is pierced on the north by a later door of Decorated character (14th century) while the tower throughout is Early English (13th century). In the south west corner of the tower is the original Early English doorway (now blocked up) that led to the tower staircase.
The tower houses a clock and a fine peal of eight bells. When the repairs were carried out to the tower in 1862, the bells were lowered and could no longer be rung from the first floor of the belfry. The repairs were necessary because large cracks had appeared in the stonework of the tower. Mr John Henson, a Kettering builder, was employed to take it down stone by stone and then rebuild it.
Further restoration of the tower, battlements and clerestory windows was necessary in 1979.
Above the porch entrance is a niche, which now contains a statue of the Madonna and Child, presented by the school children in 1921. This probably replaces one destroyed during the Commonwealth. In the corner of the porch a 13th century font has been placed after its discovery forming part of a rockery in the old rectory garden.
The chancel is late Early English about 1280. The East window is of 1867 but the side windows are late 13th century, Y-tracery with foiled circles. The carved oak reredos, altar and panelling date from 1897 and were designed by Mr Dunstan Powell, grandson of the famous Pugin – perhaps the greatest ecclesiastical architect and adviser of that century. Mr Powell, a partner of the firm of Hardman & Co of Birmingham , London and New York was the artist who designed the east window. The work in the sanctuary is all carved English oak and is in keeping with the screen and other chancel oak work. At either end of the altar is the IHS whilst the Angus Dei (Lamb of God) fills the middle panel. The reredos has a beautifully carved canopy for the cross, on either side being two carved panels representing Angels with Thurifers censing the congregation. The other side wings are all carefully worked. In 1984, as a memorial to the Revd Edward Pitt, restoration of the altar and reredos took place. Stripping and bleaching was carried out together with gilding and painting to highlight carved features.
Above the pillars in the base of the arches are some remarkable wall paintings, almost complete, dating from 1600 and originally representing twelve patriarchs of the Old Testament. Ten remain complete representing Jacob’s blessing of his sons, Judah with his sceptre on a throne, Issachar with a spade, a scythe and a heavily laden horse. Reuben as a fisherman, Nephthali fleet of foot as a hind let loose, and Benjamin dividing the spoils.
There are also a series of valuable mural paintings on the north wall that are exceptionally precious examples of mediaeval art, equal to the best continental work of the period. Though they are much decayed they are highly interesting, representing the martyrdom of St Catherine. Discovered in the 1860’s under many coats of limewash, they have been revealed as belonging to the best period of English mural painting about 1300. Experts consider that the work was done by a master of no mean order. The Saint is seen disputing with pagan philosophers, standing before the enthroned emperor, led away by a gaoler carrying his keys, and again calm and serene amid the wreckage of her spiked wheel, of which fragments have struck off the heads of her torturers. There could be a further final scene showing the burial of the Saint by angels on Mount Sinai but if it ever existed all trace seems to have disappeared.
These paintings were restored by Professor E W Tristram in 1933 and again by Mrs Eve Baker in 1972.
The fine stained glass in the East window includes pictures showing The Arrest in the Garden, The Crucifixion, The Resurrection, The Agony in Gethsemane , The Taunting of Christ and the Way of Cross. The upper medallions show a dove, a hand, a lamb and the Holy Trinity. The inscription reads “So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many. Unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto sainthood. To the glory of God and in loving memory of Hannah Ellen Cross OB 19 December 1896 RIP”
The two windows on the south and north side of the sanctuary depict the Old and New Testaments.
The stained glass window at the east end of the south aisle is a war memorial window to the Great War 1914-18 and shows the royal standard and soldiers asleep at the resurrection. The inscription reads “He is not here for he is risen.”
The stained glass window at the east end of the north aisle is dated 1874 and shows Moses striking water from a rock, Christ with the Samarian woman and the Purifying of Elijah with water.
On the south side of the church is the Chapter House constructed from local stone in 1984.
We have permission from the church to place this geocache but please be respectful of the churcyard and congregation when hunting
****************** ********************
For full information on how you can expand the Church Micro series by sadexploration please read the Place your own Church Micro page before you contact him at churchmicro.co.uk
See also the Church Micro Statistics and Home pages for further information about the series.
****************** *******************
Congratulations to Lord_Blackadder for FTF