Hall’s Hill (also known as High View Park) was sold to newly freed slaves after the Civil War. It is considered the oldest freed slave enclave in Northern Virginia. The residents established their own stores, churches, schools, newspaper and fire station. Many of the residents were active in the community affairs and in 1924 the John M. Langston Citizens Association was established. It is still in operation.
From the 1930’s until the 1960’s, the High View neighborhood was separated from their white neighbors in Waycroft-Woodlawn Village by an 8-foot tall wooden fence. In the 1960’s, the fence was taken down to allow students to more easily walk to the newly integrated public schools.
This portion of the wall remains as a physical reminder of the days of the forced segregation between whites and blacks in Arlington.
The historical marker was dedicated in February 2017.