Skip to content

<

Nyons, la tour randonne

A cache by BNB Family Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 01/27/2019
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


FRANCAIS:
Bâtie sur une butte de calcaire gréseux, au centre du quartier des Forts de Nyons, la tour Randonne, mesurant 8 m de coté pour 10 m de hauteur, surplombe la ville. Son origine daterait de 1280. Nyons était alors la capitale de la baronnie de Montauban. Dame Randonne de Montauban y aurait fait construire un château pour servir de prison militaire. Il n’en subsiste aujourd’hui qu’une tour défensive, dont les murs font 2m d’épaisseur. Cette origine, qui n’est qu’une hypothèse, est la plus plausible : une représentation de la tour au XVIe siècle montre que celle-ci était alors au centre d’un système de fortifications jouxtant la « maison de la Randonne », demeure seigneuriale de Randonne de Montauban. Cette demeure fut détruite au siècle dernier, lors de l’aménagement de la place devant la chapelle. Après les Montauban, le donjon eut plusieurs propriétaires, dont les Dauphins au XIVe siècle. En 1633, la prison fut démantelée, lors de l’ouverture de Nyons et la destruction de ses fortifications, suite au souhait de Louis XIII de voir tomber les repaires protestants dans la région.

En 1862, le chanoine Francou, curé de Nyons, acquiert la tour médiévale. C’est lui qui est à l’origine de la construction de la partie supérieure du monument, ouvrage néogothique orné de personnages. En 1854, le curé Francou fut atteint d’une maladie grave et mortelle. Il pria alors Marie, et guérit. En reconnaissance de cette guérison, il alla se prosterner devant l’autel de l’église paroissiale. Dix ans après, il annonça, lors de son sermon du 15 août 1862, son souhait d’élever, sur une de des plus hautes tours de Nyons, "un piédestal sur lequel reposerait une grande et belle statue de la Sainte Vierge, laquelle dominera en quelque sorte la ville et sera aperçue de loin dans les campagnes", selon ses dires. La tour ayant été vendue par la commune, le curé Francou la racheta à ses propriétaires le 21 octobre 1862 et en fit donation à la Fabrique de Nyons (conseil paroissial de l’époque). La tour Randonne devint ensuite la chapelle Notre Dame de Bon Secours.

À l’intérieur de la chapelle, côté sud, se trouve un petit autel en bois doré datant de la fin du XVIIe siècle : il est surmonté de la statue de la Vierge, qui y fut placée le 15 août 1864. Deux escaliers en bois, des deux côtés de l’autel, conduisent à la tribune, dont les trois rangs de gradins sont disposés en amphithéâtre tout autour de la tour. L'ensemble autel, gradins, retable et tabernacle sont classés au titre du patrimoine historique par le ministère de la culture, sous la référence PM260004501.

De nombreuses peintures ornent les murs et sont, pour la plupart d’entre elles, l’œuvre du peintre Léon Alègre, originaire de Bagnols-sur-Cèze (Gard). Ces peintures ont été réalisées entre 1867 et 1869. Les peintures représentent :

    le long des escaliers est et ouest : la fuite en Égypte et l’adoration des Mages
    sur les faces des arceaux de la voûte : au sud, la Présentation de Marie au Temple et Notre Dame de Bon Secours; à l’ouest : l’Assomption et la Mère des douleurs; au nord : la Sainte famille et la Visitation; à l’est : l’Annonciation et le Mariage de la Vierge.
    sur les arêtes des arceaux de la voûte, apparaissent quatre portraits : à l’est : Saint Marc et Saint Mathieu; à l’ouest : Saint Jean et Saint Luc
    au dessus de la porte d’entrée : entre Saint Étienne et Saint François d’Assise, le Couronnement de la Vierge

ENGLISH:

Built on a mound of sandy limestone, central district of Nyons Forts, Hiking the tower, measuring 8 m side to 10 m high, overlooks the city. Its origin dates from 1280. Nyons was the capital of the Barony of Montauban. Hiking Dame de Montauban would have to build a house to serve as a military prison. There remains today a defensive tower, with walls 2m thick. This origin, which is only a hypothesis, is the most plausible representation of the tower in the sixteenth century shows that it was then the center of a system of fortifications next to the "house of Hiking" remains stately Randonne Montauban. This house was destroyed in the last century, when the development of the square in front of the chapel. After Montauban, the tower had several owners, including the Dolphins in the fourteenth century. In 1633, the prison was dismantled during the opening of Nyons and the destruction of its fortifications, following the wishes of Louis XIII to see fall Protestants dens in the region.

In 1862, Canon Francou, pastor of Nyons, acquires the medieval tower. It is he who is responsible for the construction of the upper part of the monument, adorned with Gothic book characters. In 1854, the priest Francou was suffering from a serious and deadly disease. He asked Mary, and heals. In recognition of this healing, he went to worship at the altar of the parish church. Ten years later, he announced during his sermon on August 15, 1862, of its wish to raise, on one of the tallest towers of Nyons, "a pedestal which would support a large and beautiful statue of the Blessed Virgin, which dominate somehow the city and will be seen by far in the country, "he claimed. The tower was sold by the town, the priest Francou its owners bought the 21 October 1862 and donated it to the factory Nyons (parish council at the time). Hiking the tower later became the Notre Dame de Bon Secours.

Inside the chapel, south side, is a small gilded wooden altar dating from the late seventeenth century: it is surmounted by a statue of the Virgin, which was placed there 15 August 1864. Two wooden staircases on both sides of the altar, leading to the platform, three rows of seats are arranged in amphitheater around the tower. The whole altar stands, altar and tabernacle are classified as historical heritage by the Ministry of Culture, under the reference PM260004501.

Many paintings adorn the walls and are, for most of them the work of the painter Leon Alegre, from Bagnols-sur-Ceze (Gard). These paintings were done between 1867 and 1869. The paintings are:

    along the east and west stairs: the flight into Egypt and the Adoration of the Magi
    on the faces of the arches of the vault to the south, the Presentation of Mary in the Temple and Notre Dame de Bon Secours, west: the Assumption and the Mother of Sorrows, to the north: the Holy Family and the Visitation to East: the Annunciation and the Marriage of the Virgin.
    on the edges of the arches of the roof, there are four portraits: east: St. Mark and St. Matthew; west Saint John and Saint Luke
    above the door: between St. Stephen and Saint Francis of Assisi, the Coronation of the Virgin

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Anab zntaégvdhr, w'vaqvdhr yn ehr qnaf yndhryyr ibhf ibhf gebhirm.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.