The existing breakwater of the main port’s pool in Rijeka is famously known as the “molo longo” because of its length of 1707 m which today function as a passenger terminal and coastal promenade.
The planning and preparation works for the construction of the current breakwater began in 1872 and it was terminated in 1888. In memory of past merits, in honour of the empress, it was once called the Molo Maria Teresa. It was designed for the Hungarian Administration by the Hungarian architect Antalo Hajnal, whilst construction works were carried out, by amongst others, a Parish company for railway construction. During the 20th century, the breakwater was extended, the pier which closed the breakwater was built in 1908 and the final extension took place in 1934. During the period of the Second World War, there were a series of sabotage actions on the area of the port of Rijeka and the greatest damage was done during the retreat of the German troops in May 1945.
The large reconstruction of the port's aquatorium came off immediately after the end of the war and lasted until 1961. With special honour the cranes on the breakwater were renovated as they were able to significantly improve the status of the port as one of the technically revolutionary achievements.
The breakwater was still under construction when, in 1904, rowing clubs Quarnaro, Canottieri Fiumani and Liburnia built storages for their vessels there, club areas, small pools and terraces. The largest construction project on the breakwater was the Quarnaro bathing area built from 1912-1913 and proclaimed the greatest bathing area in the Kingdom before the start of the First World War. Besides the bathing area, the lighthouse on the breakwater’s top.
The lost values of relaxation and entertainment by the sea shore found their place amongst the numerous events that take place in the new building of the maritime passengers’ terminal.