Skip to content

<

Chateau de Grandval 1

A cache by celticcacher3 Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 03/05/2019
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Depuis Viola a reconstruit le barrage en janvier 2016, l'ancienne cache est plusieurs mètres dessous l'eau. Alors, je l'ai remplacé avec deux autres. Cette première est très facile et ça donne une belle vue sur le château.

Since Viola rebuilt the barrage in january 2016, the old cache has been several metres below water. So i've replaced it two other caches. This first one is very easy and gives a great view of the chateau.

Histoire

Le château de Grandval sur les rives du Dadou Le château qui doit son nom de Grandval à l’élargissement de la vallée, se dresse de ses deux tours découronnées pour nous offrir le témoignage d’un passé à la fois riche et douloureux.…… Une magie mélancolique embrasse ses ruines fantomatiques noyées par les eaux du lac de Rassisse dont le barrage fut mis en service en 1954. Construit au milieu du XVe.s, entre 1450 et 1470, à la demande des vicomtes de Paulin par Bernard de Caudière seigneur de Bézacoul, il connaîtra ensuite différents successeurs. Au XVIIe.s, il échut d’abord aux, de Roquefeuil, puis à, Samuel Bernard (1651-1739) le fastueux financier parisien, banquier des rois Louis XIV et Louis XV, qui le remania et le restaura.Par la suite, il sera en la possession de Jean Bernard (1685-1746) marié à une de Fréjeville, aux marquis de Fréjeville, à M. de Charamaule en 1830, aux barons de Solignac qui lui rendirent toute sa beauté au XIXe .s puis à partir de 1895 aux Toulouse-Lautrec et enfin aux Arnould. La façade principale est encadrée de deux tours rondes encore debout. Elle s’ouvrait sur un beau perron en fer à cheval donnant accès à une porte cintrée, en anse de panier avec d’élégantes fenêtres à meneaux de chaque côté. Malheureusement, aujourd’hui rien ne subsiste, même si les deux tours ont préservé leurs jolies fenêtres à colonnettes classiques. Mais de tous les témoignages anciens, c’était la richesse de la décoration intérieure, presque intacte jusqu’en juin 1944, qui donnait au château de Grandval une réputation exceptionnelle dans le département.L’abbé F. en fait une description en 1893 dans son étude ‘Albia Christiana`.L’ameublement Louis XV s’harmonisait alors avec la délicatesse des différentes tapisseries des Gobelins et autres ornementations élégantes comme une cheminée aux colonnettes à fines cannelures.En juin 1944, un groupe de la résistance locale s’installa en ses murs. Ce fut le début du destin funeste du château de Grandval. Au matin du 21 juin, les Allemands renseigné, incendiaire le château. Le Lt. Fritcher posa et alluma lui-même deux engins incendiaires.Aujourd’hui il fait le bonheur des promeneurs qui se laissent envoûter par la magie du lieu.

HISTORY of GRANDVAL

The castle, which owes its name of Grandval to the widening of the valley, stands with its two crowned towers to testify to a past that is both rich and painful......... A melancholic magic embraces its ghostly ruins drowned by the waters of Lake Rassisse, whose dam was opened in 1954. Built in the middle of the 15th century, between 1450 and 1470 ,by Bernard de Caudière, Lord of Bézacoul, at the request of Paulin's viscounts. In the 17th century, it fell first to the Roquefeuil family, then to Samuel Bernard (1651-1739), the sumptuous Parisian financier, banker to the kings Louis XIV and Louis XV, who remodeled and restored it.It was then in the possession of Jean Bernard (1685-1746) married to one of the Marquis de Fréjeville, then passed to M. de Charamaule in 1830, the Barons de Solignac who restored its beauty in the 19th century, then from 1895 onwards to Toulouse-Lautrec and finally to Arnould. The main facade is framed by two round towers still standing. It opened on a beautiful horseshoe staircase giving access to a curved door, in a basket handle with elegant mullioned windows on each side. Unfortunately, today nothing remains, even if the two towers have preserved their pretty classic columnar windows. But of all the ancient testimonies, it was the richness of the interior decoration, almost intact until June 1944, that gave Grandval Castle an exceptional reputation in the department, described by Father F. in 1893 in his study "Albia Christiana".The Louis XV furnishings were then in harmony with the delicacy of the various tapestries of the Gobelins and other elegant ornamentations such as a fireplace with fine fluted columns. In June 1944, a group of local resistance settled within its walls. This was the beginning of the unfortunate fate of the castle of Grandval. On the morning of June 21, the Germans set fire to the castle. Lt. Fritcher himself put down and lit two incendiary devices. And today it is enjoyed by sightseers who let themselves be enchanted by the magic of the place. (Source : Histoire du château de Granval)

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Whfgr qr y'nhger pôgé qh zhe. NGGRAGVBA ! rg erzcynprm rknpgrzrag pbzzr ibhf y'nirm gebhié.
........
Whfg gur bgure fvqr bs gur jnyy. OR PNERSHYY!! naq cyrnfr ercynpr rknpgyl nf sbhaq

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)