Skip to content

Adelaide Church Micro #15 - Kent Town Multi-Cache

Hidden : 3/31/2019
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


This collection of caches is based on the Church Micro series in the UK, which has over 12,000 caches. Given that Adelaide is affectionately known as the City of Churches it seems appropriate to have a small series hidden at historical churches.

Adelaide Church Micro - Wesley Uniting Kent Town

This is a simple offset multi. Visit the church to gain the coords for the final which is a short distance away. BYOP. 

The final can be found at S34 55.ABC E138 37.DEF

At the posted coordinates to the left of the main door is a metal plaque with some info.
A - Number of logos on the plaque
B - Number of words on the first line of the plaque +1
C - Last number on plaque minus 2

D - Number of times the word "Church" appears on the plaque minus 1
E - Third digit of the year the transepts were added
F - Number of letter Vs on the plaque minus 1

checksum = 20

From South Australia’s foundation in 1836, the majority of people in the early years of the colony lived in either the country or the central area of the City of Adelaide. By the mid 1850s the Eastern districts of Kent Town, Kensington and Norwood developed as urban places with an egalitarian spirit which offered cheaper land and rents than in the city centre. Proximity to the city, the hills aspect, good alluvial soils, the fresh water of the nearby creeks and the River Torrens and the many wells in the area, meant Kent Town was a prized place to live.

The suburb of Kent Town was named after Dr B A Kent who was the first resident of the area. A large number of Wesleyans lived in the newly developed suburb. As early as 1850 they held services in a cottage occupied by Mr. Henry Broad on the corner of Beulah Road and Fullarton Road.

Construction of the church nave was completed by Opening Day on Sunday 6 August, 1865. A gathering of estimated 7,000 people packed the space inside and outside the church for the services of celebration. The church was named the Jubilee Wesleyan Methodist Church. The Minister at the opening was the Rev W Taylor, from California. (http://www.wesleykenttown.org.au/history-architecture/

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Euvab

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)