This cache is hidden near the site of the first drainage works constructed in the Millicent District. The area is called the Narrow Neck Cutting.
In July, 1864, the original cutting at the "Narrow Neck" was completed on Glen's Run to drain waters from the Cootel Swamp at Rendelsham westwards to Lake Frome.The original cutting was 6 metres wide with a maximum depth of 3 metres and was completed at a cost of $163.28.
In August, 1867, 100 unemployed men from Adelaide were sent down to the drainage works and were transported across Lake Frome by boat to a jetty which was built near the Narrow Neck. By the end of the year the cutting had been enlarged to 27.5metres wide with a maximum depth of 4metres. At that time, the present drain was constructed through the cutting having a top width of 20 metres, bottom width 12.2 metres and depth of 2.1 metres.
Five kilometres of associated drains were completed at that stage and relieved 8000 hectares of the Mount Muirhead flats which previously flooded every winter. Prior to construction, water ponded to a depth of 2.6metres at the Narrow Neck. 1.7metres average depth over the flat , and formed a sheet of water east to Mount Muirhead.
A total length of 170 kilometres of drains in the District Council of Millicent area now discharge through this cutting which benefits an area of 20,000 hectares.
Many of the earth works machinery are on display at this location. Please take some time to walk around and look at the old bridges and machinery.
The cache is well hidden so place back out of sight.
Enjoy