The Treasury (Al Khazna)
The siq opens up onto Petra’s most magnificent façade; the Treasury, or Al Khazna. It is almost 40 meters high and intricately decorated with Corinthian capitals, friezes, figures and more. The Treasury is crowned by a funerary urn, which according to local legend conceals a pharaoh’s treasure. Although the original function is still a mystery, The Treasury was probably constructed in the 1st century BC, However, in reality the urn represented a memorial for royalty. The Treasury consists of two floors with a width of 25.30 meters and a height of 39.1 meters.
The purpose of the Treasury is unclear: some archaeologists believed it to be a temple, while others thought it was a place to store documents. However, the most recent excavation here has unearthed a graveyard beneath the Treasury.
The Treasury comprises three chambers, a middle chamber with one on either side, the elaborately carved facade represents the nabataean engineering genius
Information is taken from http://visitpetra.jo
I visited Petra in the spring of 2019 and I enjoyed it so much. It is just magnificent! Because the place is really busy I decided it is worth a virtual cache.
How to log
You walked or ride through the canyon and now you can see it! The most famous thing in Petra! Once you're here, all you need to do to log this Virtual is to
- Tell me what do you see when you look down just in front of the Treasury. Do not post your answer in the log, send me a message instead!
- Post a picture that contains:
- You* standing at GZ,
- holding your national flag,
- with the Treasury in the background,
- and optional: one of your treasures (please, explain in the log what is this item and why it is valuable for you). I will very much enjoy reading your story!
* If you don't want to show your face, photograph something (a poster, note, mascot...) with your geocaching nickname on it instead of yourself. We just want a proof you were at the virtual since it was published, not before.
If you are logging as a group, each separate log should contain the group photo you made.
NOTE: Your log will be deleted if the criteria above are not met. Do not cheat!
If you are adventurous I challenge you make the picture from top of the cliffs around with a greater view to the Treasury. If you do - be very careful!
Virtual Rewards 2.0 - 2019/2020
This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards 2.0 on the Geocaching Blog.