Skip to content

<

Terreiro do Paço Virtual Reward 2.0

A cache by TeamBV1312 Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 06/13/2019
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   virtual (virtual)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


A Praça do Comércio, antigamente Terreiro do Paço, é uma praça da Baixa de Lisboa situada junto ao rio Tejo, na zona que foi o local do palácio dos reis de Portugal durante cerca de dois séculos e que hoje está parcialmente ocupada por alguns departamentos governamentais. É uma das maiores praças da Europa, com cerca de 36 000 m² (180m x 200m).

É considerada um símbolo histórico do poder político e manifestação da capitalidade em Portugal. Esta simbologia é geralmente associada ao centralismo do Estado.

Em 1511, o rei D. Manuel I transferiu a sua residência do Castelo de São Jorge para este local junto ao rio. O Paço da Ribeira, bem como a sua biblioteca de 70 000 volumes, foram destruídos pelo terramoto de 1755. Na reconstrução, coordenada por Eugénio dos Santos, a praça tornou-se no elemento fundamental do plano do Marquês de Pombal.

Os edifícios que envolvem a praça foram, durante décadas, utilizados por diferentes ministérios e outras instituições públicas. Hoje a sua utilização está dividida entre departamentos governamentais, atividades culturais e promocionais, hotéis, restaurantes e cafés.

É num dos edifícios da praça que se encontra um famoso café, o mais antigo de Lisboa, e um dos preferidos de Fernando Pessoa.

Após a Revolução de 1910 os edifícios foram pintados a cor-de-rosa. Contudo, voltaram recentemente à sua cor original, o amarelo. O lado sul, com as suas duas torres quadradas, está virado para o Tejo.

Foi durante muito tempo a entrada nobre de Lisboa e, nos degraus de mármore do Cais das Colunas, vindos do rio, desembarcaram e foram recebidos chefes de estado e outras figuras de destaque.

No centro da praça, vê-se a estátua equestre D. José, erigida em 1775 por Joaquim Machado de Castro, o principal escultor português do século XVIII.

No lado norte da praça, encontra-se o Arco Triunfal da Rua Augusta, a entrada para a Baixa.

A área serviu como parque de estacionamento até à década de 1990, mas hoje este vasto espaço é usado para eventos culturais e espectáculos.

Acontecimentos históricos:

No dia 1 de dezembro de 1640 a antiga praça assistiu ao fim da União Ibérica com a prisão da Duquesa de Mântua e a morte do secretário de estado Miguel de Vasconcelos que foi atirado de uma janela do palácio para o Terreiro.

No terramoto de 1755, onde hoje se encontram os edifícios que constituem o Terreiro do Paço, existia o Palácio Real, em cuja biblioteca estavam guardados 70 mil volumes e centenas de obras de arte, incluindo pinturas de  Ticiano ,  Rubens  e  Correggio . Tudo foi destruído. O precioso Arquivo Real com documentos relativos à exploração oceânica, entre os quais, por exemplo

numerosas cartas do descobrimento do Brasil e outros documentos antigos também foram perdidos.

A 1 de fevereiro de 1908, o rei D. Carlos e o seu filho, o Príncipe Real D. Luís Filipe foram assassinados quando passavam na praça.

Na Revolução de 1910, a praça assistiu ao desembarque da Marinha no Cais das Colunas para ocupar locais estratégicos da cidade. A 5 de Outubro de 1910, na Praça do Município junto ao terreiro, foi proclamada a República.

A 18 de fevereiro de 1957, a rainha Isabel II do Reino Unido desembarcou no Cais das Colunas, na sua visita a Portugal.

Durante o regime do Estado Novo, alguns dos discursos do Presidente do Conselho,  Oliveira Salazar  foram proferidos à janela dos ministérios.

No dia 25 de abril de 1974 a praça assistiu a um dos episódios da revolução que derrubou o governo de  Marcello Caetano  e o Estado Novo. No dia 11 de maio de 2010 o Papa Bento XVI celebrou uma missa na praça com cerca de 280 mil pessoas a assistir.

Em 2016, a praça voltou a receber as comemorações do Dia de Portugal, de Camões e das Comunidades que aqui não se realizavam desde o fim do Estado Novo.

Para fazer o registo desta cache, você deve enviar-nos uma mensagem com o nome do cavaleiro representado na estátua e anexar ao registo uma foto sua com a estátua como plano de fundo.


English

The Praça do Comércio, formerly Terreiro do Paço, is a square in Baixa de Lisboa, located by the river Tagus, in the area that was the site of the palace of the kings of Portugal for about two centuries and which today is partially occupied by some government departments . It is one of the largest squares in Europe, with about 36,000 m² (180m x 200m).

It is considered a historical symbol of the political power and manifestation of the capital in Portugal. This symbology is generally associated with state centralism.

In 1511, King D. Manuel I transferred his residence from the Castle of St. George to this place by the river. The Paço da Ribeira, as well as its library of 70,000 volumes, were destroyed by the earthquake of 1755. In the reconstruction, coordinated by Eugénio dos Santos, the square became the fundamental element of the plan of the Marquis of Pombal.

The buildings surrounding the square have been used for decades by different ministries and other public institutions. Today its use is divided between government departments, cultural and promotional activities, hotels, restaurants and cafes.

It is in one of the buildings of the square that is a famous coffee, the oldest in Lisbon, and one of Fernando Pessoa's favorites.

After the Revolution of 1910 the buildings were painted in pink. However, they have recently returned to their original color, yellow. The south side, with its two square towers, faces the Tagus.

It was for a long time the noble entrance of Lisbon, and on the marble steps of the Cais das Colunas, coming from the river, landed and were received heads of state and other prominent figures.

In the center of the square, one can see the equestrian statue D. José, erected in 1775 by Joaquim Machado de Castro, the main Portuguese sculptor of the XVIII century.

On the north side of the square is the Triumphal Arch of Augusta Street, the entrance to the Baixa.

The area served as a car park until the 1990s, but today this vast space is used for cultural events and shows.

Historical facts:

On December 1, 1640 the old plaza witnessed the end of the Iberian Union with the arrest of the Duchess of Mantua and the death of Secretary of State Miguel de Vasconcelos who was thrown from a window of the palace to the Terreiro.

In the earthquake of 1755, where today the buildings that make up the Terreiro do Paço, the Royal Palace existed, in whose library were stored 70 thousand volumes and hundreds of works of art, including paintings by Titian, Rubens and Correggio. Everything was destroyed. The precious Royal Archive containing documents relating to ocean exploration, among which, for example, numerous letters from the discovery of Brazil and other ancient documents were also lost.

On February 1, 1908, King D. Carlos and his son, the Royal Prince Dom Luis Filipe were murdered as they passed in the square.

In the 1910 Revolution, the square witnessed the landing of the Navy at Cais das Colunas to occupy strategic locations of the city. On October 5, 1910, in the Praça do Município next to the terreiro, the Republic was proclaimed.

On February 18, 1957, Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom landed at Cais das Colunas, during her visit to Portugal.

During the Estado Novo regime, some of the speeches by the President of the Council, Oliveira Salazar, were delivered to the ministries window.

On April 25, 1974, the square witnessed one of the episodes of the revolution that overthrew the government of Marcello Caetano and the Estado Novo. On May 11, 2010, Pope Benedict XVI celebrated a mass in the square with about 280 thousand people to watch.

In 2016, the square returned to receive the celebrations of the Day of Portugal, Camões and Communities that have not been held here since the end of the Estado Novo.

To log in the cache you should send a message with the name of the knight represented on the statue and attach to the log a picture of you with the statue as a background.


Virtual Rewards 2.0 - 2019/2020

This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards 2.0 on the Geocaching Blog.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.