The Chelsfield parish tribute to its victims of both world wars is in the form of the memorial plaque shown above, it was erected in 1953 and is located at the parish church of St. Martin-of-Tours. It is inscribed with 52 names of men commemorated from the Great War and 20 casualties of the Second World War.
Unveiled by Sir Samuel Knox Cunningham, Q.C., the plaque was dedicated by the Vicar of Chelsfield, the Reverend Norman Woodhall. The memorial plaque bares the two inscriptions:-
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN PROUD REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN TWO WORLD WARS”
“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS”
The church is open each day and the memorial is in the porch near the co-ords. There is a booklet there with further information about the memorial and the people on it.
Next to the path near the co-ords there is a sign with 3 words on it, A B C.
The 1.5ml container can be found at:
N51 21. 2A-B-C A+B-C A-B+C
E0 7. 3A-4B+4C 2A-B+C 4A+B-5C
The checksum is 47 in case you need it.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT