War Memorial #781 ~ Sawston
It is believed that the original Cross was built by the Knights Templar reference the Survey of Sawston 1580: "Here standith a crosse covered with tyles". As recently as 1815 the Cross was enclosed by a building shaped like an amphitheatre, only the top part of the Cross being visible. The Table Book Vol. 2, William Hone, The Gentleman Magazine 1815. In the summer of 1815 the Cross was removed for some unknown reason and later replaced; in the process of these operations the top of the Cross was broken off and for the following seventy years only the shaft remained. In the [eighteen] eighties ...another Cross was refixed to the top of the shaft and later on in 1919 there were further alternations, the Cross being adapted to form the central feature of the Village War Memorial being raised on a new foundation of Cornish granite. The iron railings were removed at the same time and replaced by a surround of a more dignified character. In February 1943 the top of the Cross was again broken off, this time by an Army unit who failed either to apologise for such a thoughtless if unintentional act of vandalism or even to report the matter to a responsible authority. The replacement was carried out later by Messrs. Rattee an Kett, of Cambridge.
This is a traditional cache and IS at the published coordinates.
The cache is a 5ml tube.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT