Oak Hill Cemetery
The Oak Hill Cemetery Association was established on February 4, 1868. A constitution and by-laws were drawn up and adopted. A soliciting committee, comprised of Enoch Woodbridge, E. H. Hall and L. Scoles, was appointed to sell lots at a price of not less than $5 per lot and all proceeds were used to buy and improve the original 8 acres that make up the east side of the cemetery. The original cemetery ground was purchased for $25 per acre on August 3, 1868 from T. D. Coryell.
On May 10, 1869, plotting of the ground into lots was made. These were the charter members: H. A. Scales, George Wood, Wm. T. Colt, E. W. Barren, Cyrus H. Wait, John S. Hall, J. A. Wade, Henry Baker, R. M. Nevins, S. W. Byers, Z. P. Mitchell, and T. D. Coryell. Weeks later, on June 19, 1869, the first burial was performed, that being of Mrs. Sarah Carpenter.
As the years passed, more land was added, trees were planted and Oak Hill Cemetery became firmly established as a fitting “City of the Dead.” The cemetery had become known for the beautiful view of the Cedar River valley and numerous majestic trees. In the early years, many burials were of those who had been disinterred from other local cemeteries and reburied here. The earliest known death of someone re-interred in Oak Hill was John Emery Hall, who died in September, 1855.

There has been many more burials since September of 1855 when the first internment happened, in fact, Oak Hill Cemetery is an active cemetery. With that said, be respectfull at all times. Do Not cache at night and if there should be a burial service in progress it may be best to come back at another time.