The original memorial was unveiled on 4 February 1903 but was removed in 1968 following vandal and pollution damage. The information board gives a picture of the original figure (which was quite different to this!) together with some more interesting background detail which is well worth a read.
This 2013 stone replacement is on the same site and plinth as the original and depicts the figure of an officer in khaki drill and sun helmet with Sam Browne equipment with his left hand resting on a sheathed sword. It was erected by public subscription to the memory of the men belonging to the Regular Volunteer and Imperial Yeomanry Forces of Wigan and District who fell in the South African War of 1899-1902.
The cache is located close and within sight of this memorial.
To find it you must look at the stones and flowers carved at the rear of this figure.
The cache can be found at N53 33.10A W002 38.29B where:
A = The total number of full leaves on the flowers.
B = The number of flowers + the number of leaves on the largest flower.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT