This series highlights locations in Skagit County. These communities were formed in the early 1870's remaining up until the 1920's. Many of the names still appear on maps. A few have buildings remaining in use today. These communities and many others can be found on https:/www.skagitcounty.net/Maps/iMap/?mapjs=hist
Located five miles north of Burlington on Old Highway 99, the Belfast area was the site of a logging camp run by W. E. Gilkey and Fred Parker.
The nearest railroad was the Fairhaven and Southern less than a mile away, but in 1891, the Great Northern Railway came through and established a depot on their line. William Gilmore, Sr, named it Belfast for his home town in Ireland. Already the owner of a general store in Edison (1882), he started the first business in Belfast, most likely a store as well.
The settlement grew, creating the need for a post office. A shingle mill was built a mile away by the Callahan brothers, but the 1893 Panic created financial hardship. They sold to the Moody family in the mid-1890s who then sold the mill to Bloedel-Donovan in 1906.
The Moodys were very active in Belfast. R.M. Moody was the postmaster. S.L. Moody was the general manager of the Belfast Manufacturing Company. P.M. Moody was a "woods foreman." In 1905 Belfast had a population of 100 which included laborers, hops growers, engineers and the Moodys. It had daily mail and stage to Edison.
As it grew, Belfast added a hotel, saloon, restaurant and school, but the passenger service was discontinued not long after the Great Northern built its cutoff to Bellingham in 1902. When Bloedel-Donovan finished logging at Camp Six in 1912 and the railroad tracks were removed, the town went into decline.
The actual location was .3 mile south mid way between I5 and Old Highway 99. Today the Belfast Feed Store is the only place we found recognizing the community. Placed with permssion of the business owners.
Much of this information was provided by the Skagit County Historical Museum in La Conner.
Much of this information was provided by the Skagit County Historical Museum in La Conner.