The memorial was unveiled by Rev HT Hayman, chaplain of the Robin Hoods - 7TH Batalion of Sherwood Foresters, on 5 June 1921.
Inscription. Lower plinth: ‘Erected by voluntary subscription in memory of those who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1919. Remember with thanksgiving the true and faithful men who in these years of war went forth from this parish for God and right. The names of those who returned not again are here inscribed to be honoured for evermore ' Upper plinth: ‘Erected by voluntary subscription in memory of all those in West Bridgford who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939-1945
The memorial is a column of Portland stone, with enriched carved capital, surmounted with tabernacle work in the early English style, and stands on an octagonal base 6ft. wide, around which is carved:- ‘Pro Patria. The Victor heroes reset in many lands, but here the symbol of their glory stands.’ There are eight cast bronze plates, containing the inscription:
At the base is a circular wall, 18ft. in diameter, enclosing a flower bed. Prior to the unveiling Mr Hayman delivered a stirring address, in which he strongly deprecated the present industrial unrest. He had known West Bridgford for over 40 years and remembered it as a little village. To him it was remarkable to think that the parish – now quite a town – contributed upwards of 1,000 men to the war. The older photograph shows the memorial with only WW1. The other photo shows both wars.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT