Skip to content

Take a Load Off Traditional Cache

Hidden : 9/28/2019
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Sit down and take a load off in the shadow of this Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township historic school building. The cache is a special container located here with permission of the current tenant, Olmsted Community Center. Easy access but depending on traffic and activities at the Center, beware of the muggles. There can be a lot of traffic, so be patient and cautious! This is a small one, so bring your own pen/pencil to sign the log. The cache might hold one or two dime-size coins/items.

Now for a little history, the front section of this complex was built in 1915-1916 for $57,000 and opened in 1916 as the first consolidated school in the County offering first through twelfth grade for the entire Olmsted Community. It consolidated six to eight one-room schoolhouses across both communities and created the first four-year high school in Olmsted. Previously, the students would have to go to a neighboring school to complete the fourth year. The original portion of the building on the southeast corner is now the Olmsted Falls City Hall, the Senior Center, and Police Station. The southwest west section was built in 1926 to meet the expanding needs of the community and now houses the Christians in Action. Expansion occurred again in 1938 with the auditorium, gym, cafeteria and other rooms that are now the Olmsted Community Center. The final expansion was to the northwest in 1948 to include additional classrooms that are now a daycare facility. Post World War II, community expansion necessitated the opening of the additional schools to ultimately replace this consolidated school with the last high school class graduating from this facility in 1968. The final students to utilize these facilities left in 1996 to move to the new middle school that was built down Bagley Road. Obviously, the building was constructed well as it stands before you today and is used by the City, other non-profits, and a business today. Note: Most of this history was pulled from an Olmsted Township Newsletter called, “Olmsted 2000”, to celebrate the Township bicentennial. It was dated November 1, 2015 and can be found on the Olmsted Township website.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Tbggn trg ybj sbe guvf bar! Vg vf abg ba gur punve nal ybatre qhr gb n erpheevat guvrs. Vg vf jvguva 20 srrg bs gur punve naq vg vf nggnpurq gb n srngher gung Znevb be Yhvtv zvtug hfr gb trg gb gur arkg yriry!

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)