Aubourn translates as 'stream where the alders grow'. It has an unusual one way system through the village and two churches, dedicated to the same saint.
At the eastern end of the village stands Aubourn Hall, an early to mid-17th-century house set in 1.2 ha of gardens. Built for Sir John Meres between 1587 and 1628, possibly on Tudor foundations, it is brick with stone quions and three storeys high. The interior of the house includes a carved staircase and panelled rooms. The property has been the home of the Neville family since the 17th century.
To the east of the Hall is the eleventh century parish church, dedicated to St Peter. The present church was built around 1200 on the site of an earlier church built of wood and stone and recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. When it was built, the church was a larger structure than today's and included a nave, porch and tower. In 1862 most of the building was demolished following the building of a new parish church on a new site, leaving just the chancel standing. However, the original foundations can still be seen in the churchyard in front of the main door.
The new church, also dedicated to St Peter, was built on a site midway between Aubourn and Haddington,
The new Victorian church was not as well built as the older church had been and by 1968, it had deteriorated to the point that it was thought unsafe for congregational use. After its abandonment it was used as a mortuary. In 1933, the older church was restored, with a new altar and a gallery for the organ installed. After the newer church had run down, the old church saw more use. Only the tower and chancel of the newer church, as well as the derelict walls of the South transept, remain in the churchyard today.
Look for Yvonne Ogg and the dates connected to her. These are ABCD - EFGH.
The cache can be found at:
N 53 09. H C (D-E)
W 000 37. G A (E+F+G+H)
If anybody would like to expand the Village Sign Series, please do. I would ask that you let Smokeypugs know first at www.villagesignseries.co.uk so they can keep track of the Village Sign numbers and names to avoid duplication.