
Stóra-Árskóg Church is located in Hríseyjar Priesthood in Eyjafjörður. Stóri-Árskógur is a town and church site on Árskógsströnd on the west of Eyjafjörður. There, the Catholic Church was a Catholic church and a priest's office until 1884, when the parish was merged with Völlum.
A large and walled timber church was dedicated in 1898, but it was damaged in spring weather and eroded on the foundation two years later. A new 150-seat, concrete church with tower, church and choir was built in the years 1926-1927 and the dedication took place on June 6.
Guðjón Samúelsson, the master builder of the state and Halldór Halldórsson, architect from Garðsvík, designed the church. Vigfús Kristjánsson in Stóra-Árskógi was a superior. The altarpiece is the symbol of the resurrection by Arngrímur Gíslason, a painter. Guðmundur Guðmundsson, a sculptor, cuts her beautiful dress.
The church has two baptismal sows, one for Hannes and Kristján Vigfus sons in Stóra-Árskógur, the other a poet Guðmundur Frímann and in it is an ancient baptismal bowl. On the tower of the church is a cross of light.
Information source: http://www.kirkjukort.net:
Translation: Google translate
Photo: Höögarna