This cache was placed with permission of the Danbury Public Library in conjunction with an "Intro to Geocaching" program in November 2019. We hope kids and adults will be finding this cache (and stopping in to visit the Library) for many years to come!
We've included some small Library swag for trade, but there's not much room for items. A small pencil is included, but as always, it's recommended to BYOP.
Please share a favorite library-related memory in your log (doesn't have to be from the Danbury Library).
For those interested in a bit of background, here's some history about the library from Kendra Baker's "Danbury Library celebrates 150 years of history":
The Danbury Library has a long, illustrious history and like much of the “Hat City” its early success had a lot to do with, well — hats.
The library was incorporated on June 5, 1869, but it was a year later that wealthy hat factory executive Alexander M. White and his brother, George Granville White, gave the library a gift that ensured its future.
The brothers donated their family’s homestead at 254 Main St. to library trustees for use “until a suitable building could be erected on the property,” wrote James Montgomery Bailey in his book “History of Danbury, Conn., 1684-1896."
The White brothers also donated land and provided funding to move the house to a rear lot and construct a new building on the premises. Construction of the still-standing High Victorian Gothic-style library commenced in 1877 and wrapped up in 1879.
Some 91 years later, the handsome red-brick building had become too small for the growing Danbury community and the present-day library at 170 Main St.