Skip to content

<

[Tours] La Place Plumereau

A cache by ipln Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 11/09/2019
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:



La Place Plumereau

par ipln  |  GC8FQ37  |  Tours



La place Plumereau est le centre vivant de la ville, au cœur du Vieux-Tours.

Lieu de rencontre et de convivialité, la place carrée est bordée par une multitude de terrasses où vous pourrez manger et boire : cafés, restaurants, glacier, il y en a pour tous les goûts et toutes les envies.

S’il est si agréable de venir se détendre « place Plume », c’est aussi pour son caractère historique et la splendeur de ses façades.



Je vous propose une petite visite guidée, avec une question posée à certaines étapes. Relevez les valeurs successives pour ensuite calculer les coordonnées finales de la cache située à proximité.

Ouvrez bien les yeux pendant la promenade, car vous pourrez y voir d'autres petits "trésors": une plume façon Pixel Art, une borne mémoriale, des gravures et sculptures, et même des fossiles.

Vous êtes prêts ? C’est parti !

 

Etape 1 : N 47° 23.664 E 000° 40.904

Nous démarrons notre parcours au centre de la place.

A l’origine, elle n’était qu'un simple élargissement de la rue du Grand-Marché, mais la place fut doublée en 1869. Elle a connu de nombreuses dénominations aux cours du temps. Au XIVe siècle, la place s’appelait le carroi aux Chapeaux, où se tenait le marché des fleurs qui ornaient notamment les chapeaux. Elle doit son nom actuel à un ancien conseiller municipal de Tours, Charles Plumereau, qui fit don à sa mort en 1885 de 3 000 Francs à la municipalité, et qui donc renomma la place en son hommage en 1888.

La place fut restaurée dans les années 1960 sous l’impulsion du maire Jean Royer, à contre-courant de la tendance dominante en France de démolition-reconstruction pour les besoins de relogement après la Seconde Guerre Mondiale.

Le quartier fait partie du secteur du Vieux-Tours inscrit au patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO depuis 2000, et devient Site Patrimonial Remarquable en 2016.

Question 1 : Combien d'arbres bordent la place sur le côté Nord (nombre pair) ? La réponse vous donne la valeur A.

 

Etape 2 : N 47° 23.674 E 000° 40.917

Vous vous trouvez à l’angle Nord-Est de la place, où débute la rue du Commerce.

Question 2 : Sur le panneau explicatif : en quelle année Pierre Boille organisa une expérience de restauration au sein du quartier Plumereau ? La réponse est sous la forme  19B0.

 

Etape 3 : N 47° 23.700 E 000° 40.897

Empruntez le passage aux coordonnées N 47° 23.674 E 000° 40.907 pour accéder au Jardin Saint-Pierre-le-Puellier.

L’église Pierre-le-Puellier de Tours est une ancienne église gothique dont ne subsistent plus que des vestiges. La construction de l’église remonte au XIIe siècle, puis fut vendue comme bien national en 1791 après la Révolution. Les propriétaires démolirent alors une grande partie des bâtiments, les décombres étant probablement revendus comme matériau de construction. Les vestiges font l’objet d’une inscription au titre des monuments historiques depuis 1946.

Lors de la réhabilitation du Vieux-Tours à la fin des années 1960, des fouilles archéologiques ont été menées. Des vestiges médiévaux ont alors été mis à jour, mais également des restes de bâtiments antiques et de tessons de céramiques datés du Ier siècle de notre ère. Le site de fouille fut alors transformé en jardin archéologique.

Question 3 : Sur le panneau explicatif : en quelle année est attesté l'ancien établissement de moniales ? La réponse est sous la forme 7C1.

 

Etape 4 : N 47° 23.695 E 000° 40.879

Cette ancienne maison de chanoine dépendait de la collégiale Saint-Pierre-le-Puellier, située en face. La maison comprend en particulier un escalier logé dans une tourelle hors œuvre construite en pans de bois et briques.

Question 4 : Sur le panneau explicatif : lors de quel siècle cette maison cannoniale aurait-elle été construite ?

- Le XIIème siècle : D = 1.

- Le XIVème siècle : D = 5.

- Le XVIème siècle : D = 7.

 

Etape 5 : N 47° 23.673 E 000° 40.890

Vous vous trouvez à l’angle Nord-Ouest de la place, où débute la rue Briçonnet.

Entre les XVe et XIXe siècles, cette rue s’appelait rue des Trois Pucelles (les pucelles sont des poissons qui remontent la Loire). La rue fut renommée en 1844 en la mémoire de Jean Briçonnet, premier maire élu de Tours en 1492.

Côté Ouest, vous faites face à une grande maison construite en tuffeau blanc, imitant l’architecture Renaissance italienne.

Question 5 : Observez la façade de cette maison en pierre. Quelle année est gravée (en haut, à droite) ? La réponse est sous la forme 1E45.

 

Etape 6 : N 47° 23.664 E 000° 40.892

Vous êtes côté Ouest de la place, et vous faites face à une maison à faux pans de bois datant du premier quart du XXe siècle, et une maison en pierre qui fut jadis à pans de bois avec pignon du XVIe siècle. Quand une construction « récente » voulut imiter l’ancienne en ajoutant des pans de bois, tandis que l’ancienne se vit retirer les siens !

 

Etape 7 : N 47° 23.654 E 000° 40.891

Vous êtes désormais à l’angle Sud-Ouest de la place, sur la rue du Grand-Marché.

Le côté Sud de la place comporte six maisons à pans de bois et briques des XVe et XVIe siècles. Ces maisons ont une base en pierre de tuffeau. Une maison en pierre du XVIIe siècle est encadrée par les première et deuxième maisons à pans de bois. Cette maison en pierre possède une cour intérieure pourvue d’un imposant escalier-galerie du XVIIe siècle.

Question 6 : L’enseigne en bois du restaurant est encadrée par deux gravures. Que représentent-elles ?

- Des aigles : F = 0.

- Des souris : F = 8.

- Des dragons : F = 3.

 

Etape 8 : N 47° 23.651 E 000° 40.918

Après avoir longé le côté Sud de la place, vous vous retrouvez à l’angle Sud-Est. Les rues du Change (au Sud) et de la Monnaie (à l’Est) y débutent.

Le nom de la rue de la Monnaie est connu depuis le XIVe siècle. Elle est nommée ainsi en référence à l’atelier monétaire royal qui y était anciennement situé. Le nom de la rue du Change provient des tables et ateliers des changeurs et orfèvres de la monnaie de Tours, établis dans la rue et ses alentours.

La maison du XVe siècle à l’angle des rues de la Monnaie et du Change, est remarquable. Ses façades sont entièrement recouvertes d’ardoises. Elle possède des piliers et poteaux corniers avec des sculptures gravées dans le bois et richement détaillées. Vous pourrez contempler notamment la Sainte Famille, un moine, ou encore un roi enlevant sa couronne (son visage ayant été saccagé, sûrement durant la Révolution).

Question 7 : Sur la statue ci-dessus, combien y a-t-il de fleurs de lys sur la sacoche ? La réponse vous donne la valeur G.

 

Etape 9 : N 47° 23.664 E 000° 40.915

C’est la dernière étape de notre parcours !

Le côté Est de la Place est un ensemble de maisons entièrement construites en pierres de tuffeau durant la seconde partie du XVIIIe siècle.

 

La cache !

Les coordonnées finales de la cache sont les suivantes :

N 47° GF.BDB

E 000° A0.CEC




I propose a small guided tour, with a question asked at certain Waypoints. Note the successive values and then calculate the final coordinates of the cache located nearby.

Keep your eyes open during the walk, as you will be able to see other little "treasures" there: a Pixel Art-style feather, a memorial, engravings and sculptures, and even fossils.

Are you ready? Let's go!

 

Waypoint 1: N 47° 23.664 E 000° 40.904

We start our journey in the center of the square.

Originally, it was only a simple widening of the rue du Grand-Marché, but the square was doubled in 1869. It has known many names over the years. In the 14th century, the square was called the Carriere aux Chapeaux, where the flower market was held, which in particular adorned the hats. It owes its current name to a former city councilor from Tours, Charles Plumereau, who donated 3,000 Francs to his municipality at his death in 1885, and who therefore renamed the place in his homage in 1888.

The square was restored in the 1960s under the impetus of Mayor Jean Royer, against the prevailing trend in France for demolition-reconstruction for relocation purposes after the Second World War.

The district is part of the Vieux-Tours sector, which has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000, and became a Remarkable Heritage Site in 2016.

Question 1: How many trees on the North side of the Place Plumereau (even number)? The answer gives you the value A.

 

Waypoint 2: N 47° 23.674 E 000° 40.917

You are at the northeast corner of the square, where rue du Commerce begins.

Question 2: On the panel: in which year did Pierre Boille organize a restoration experience in the Plumereau district? The answer is in the form 19B0.

 

Waypoint 3: N 47° 23.700 E 000° 40.897

Take the passage at coordinates N 47° 23.674 E 000° 40.907 to access the Saint-Pierre-le-Puellier Garden.

The Pierre-le-Puellier church in Tours is an old Gothic church of which only vestiges remain. The construction of the church dates back to the 12th century, then was sold as national property in 1791 after the Revolution. The owners then demolished a large part of the buildings, the rubble probably being sold as building material. The remains have been listed as a historic monument since 1946.

During the rehabilitation of Vieux-Tours in the late 1960s, archaeological excavations were carried out. Medieval vestiges were then uncovered, but also remains of ancient buildings and ceramic shards dated from the 1st century AD. The excavation site was then transformed into an archaeological garden.

Question 3: On the panel: in what year did the former nunnery record? The answer is in the form 7C1.

 

Waypoint 4: N 47° 23.695 E 000° 40.879

This former Canons' house was part of the Saint-Pierre-le-Puellier collegiate church, located opposite. The house includes in particular a staircase housed in a turret out of work built in half-timbered and bricks.

Question 4: On the panel: in which century was this Canons' house built?

- The 12th century: D = 1.

- The 14th century: D = 5.

- The 16th century: D = 7.

 

Waypoint 5: N 47° 23.673 E 000° 40.890

You are at the northwest corner of the square, where rue Briçonnet begins.

Between the 15th and 19th centuries, this street was called rue des Trois Pucelles (fishes that go up the Loire). The street was renamed in 1844 in memory of Jean Briçonnet, first elected mayor of Tours in 1492.

On the West side, you face a large house built in white tufa, imitating Italian Renaissance architecture.

Question 5: Have a look to the facade of this stone house. What year is engraved (top right)? The answer is in the form 1E45.

 

Waypoint 6: N 47° 23.664 E 000° 40.892

You are on the west side of the square, and you face a half-timbered house dating from the first quarter of the 20th century, and a stone house which was once half-timbered with gable from the 16th century. When a "recent" construction wanted to imitate the old one by adding wooden frames, while the old one had its own taken away!

 

Waypoint 7: N 47° 23.654 E 000° 40.891

You are now at the southwest corner of the square, on rue du Grand-Marché.

The south side of the square has six half-timbered houses and bricks from the 15th and 16th centuries. These houses have a tufa stone base. A 17th century stone house is framed by the first and second half-timbered houses. This stone house has an interior courtyard with an impressive 17th century gallery staircase.

Question 6: The wooden sign on top of the restaurant comprise two engravings. What do they represent?

- Eagles: F = 0.

- Mouses: F = 8.

- Dragons: F = 3.

 

Waypoint 8: N 47° 23.651 E 000° 40.918

After walking along the south side of the square, you will find yourself at the southeast corner. The streets of Change (to the south) and de la Monnaie (to the east) start there.

The name of the rue de la Monnaie has been known since the 14th century. It is named after the royal monetary workshop which was formerly located there. The name of the rue du Change comes from the tables and workshops of the money changers and silversmiths of Tours, established in the street and its surroundings.

The 15th century house at the corner of Monnaie and Change streets is remarkable. Its facades are entirely covered with slate. It has pillars and corner posts with sculptures carved in wood and richly detailed. You will be able to contemplate in particular the Holy Family, a monk, or even a king removing his crown (his face having been ransacked, surely during the Revolution).

Question 7 : On the statue above, how many fleur de lys are on the bag? The answer gives you the value G.

 

Waypoint 9: N 47° 23.664 E 000° 40.915

This is the last stage on our journey!

The east side of the Place is a set of houses built entirely of tufa stone during the second half of the 18th century.

 

The cache!

The final coordinates are:

N 47° GF.BDB

E 000° A0.CEC



Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[FR] Qnaf yr iéevsvpngrhe / [EN] Va gur purpxre

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)