Opened in 1903, on the Lanarkshire & Ayrshire Railway, this station served Uplawmoor until the beginning of 1917. It then reopened in early 1919, before closing permanently to both passenger and freight services on 2nd April 1962. The exception to that? The stabling overnight of the Royal Train when the Queen Mother visited the area in 1964.
The railway was primarily built to bring coal from the Lanarkshire coalfields, to the Ayrshire coast, to serve shipping and for export from Ardrossan. It also would link with towns growing in size and industrial importance, however a rival railway company had built a route that had utilised the best route for some of the length of the L&A.
The railway was built by Robert McAlpine and Company, now Sir Robert McAlpine, though at the time it was the first railway project he was involved in and it did not go well. However, the company later built the Mallaig Extension railway (including the famous Glenfinnan Viaduct) and the Glasgow Subway (affectionately known as a the Clockwork Orange).