Skip to content

<

AGT(G) - Castelo de Campo Maior

A cache by Geo Alentejo Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 02/23/2020
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:



AGT(G) - Castelo de Campo Maior

Características

O Castelo de Campo Maior, no Alentejo, localiza-se na freguesia de São João Baptista, povoação de Campo Maior, concelho de Campo Maior, distrito de Portalegre, em Portugal.

Erguido no alto do outeiro de Santa Vitória para defesa da raia alentejana, do alto de suas torres se divisam as vizinhas Badajoz e Elvas. Atualmente o monumento integra a Praça-forte de Campo Maior, depois da de Elvas, a mais importante fortificação do Distrito.

Erguido na cota de 299 metros acima do nível do mar, o castelo e a cerca medievais estão orientados para o território espanhol. As muralhas do castelo, ameadas, foram confeccionadas em alvenaria de pedra em fiadas, argamassas com cal, identificando-se alguns jorramentos e cunhais de silharia. O seu topo é percorrido em toda a volta por um adarve e eram reforçadas, originalmente, por seis torres de planta retangular, também ameadas, das quais restam hoje, apenas duas. Tanto as ameias das muralhas, quanto as das torres, apresentam terminação tronco-piramidal com arredondamento no topo. As torres apresentam, em seu interior, sala com teto abobadado ao nível do adarve; a torre a Norte ostenta uma janela em estilo renascentista.

A cerca da vila, a sul, apresenta planta no formato trapezoidal, reforçada com sete torreões: seis de planta retangular e uma octogonal, a nordeste, defendendo o portão de entrada. As muralhas apresentam-se rebaixadas, assim como as torres, permitindo o tiro à barbeta das canhoneiras. Apenas uma das torres, a sudoeste, junto a uma das portas falsas, apresenta ameias; no setor sudeste, destaca-se a Capela do(a) Senhor(a) dos Aflitos.

História

A primitiva ocupação humana do seu sítio perde-se na pré-história. Acredita-se que foi habitada sucessivamente por povos Celtas, Romanos e Muçulmanos, para ser reconquistada por forças cristãs do reino de Leão no século XIII, após 1230. O primeiro foral de Campo Maior data de 1260, outorgado pelo Bispo de Badajoz.

A vila foi conquistada por forças portuguesas entre 1295 e 1296. Só seria, entretanto, incorporada definitivamente aos domínios de D. Dinis (1279-1325) em virtude do Tratado de Alcanises (1297). Para incrementar o seu povoamento e assegurar-lhe a defesa, o soberano concedeu-lhe Carta de Foral e determinou a reconstrução do seu castelo (1310).

Diante do crescimento da povoação e da sua importância estratégica sobre a raia alentejana, D. João II (1481-1495) ampliou-lhe as defesas, fazendo erguer uma nova cerca envolvente que inscrevia toda a vila dentro das muralhas. Esses trabalhos prosseguiam sob o reinado de D. Manuel I (1495-1521), quando foi figurada por Duarte de Armas no seu Livro das Fortalezas (1509).

Nos séculos XVII e XVIII, diante da modernização dos meios ofensivos, a defesa da vila foi remodelada com a introdução de linhas abaluartadas e construção de novas instalações militares, transformando a povoação medieval em uma Praça-forte.

O conjunto medieval foi severamente danificado em 16 de Setembro de 1732. Por volta das três horas da madrugada, durante uma violenta tempestade, registou-se a queda de um raio sobre a torre grande do castelo, utilizada como paiol de pólvora. O paiol estocava, naquele momento, seis mil arrobas de pólvora e cinco mil munições. À violenta explosão seguiu-se um vasto incêndio, que além das vítimas fatais, consumiu mais da metade das habitações da vila, arrasando não só o castelo como a cerca medieval.

No século XX o castelo foi classificado como Monumento Nacional por Decreto publicado em 18 de Março de 1911. Na primeira metade da década de 1940 a Direcção-Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais (DGEMN) iniciou obras de consolidação e restauro do conjunto, caracterizadas por trabalhos de reconstrução. Uma segunda etapa de obras foi iniciada na segunda metade da década de 1960, estendendo-se até ao início da década de 1970, marcada por intervenções nas muralhas do castelo e na Capela de Nossa Senhora dos Aflitos. Uma terceira etapa teve lugar na década de 1980, passando o monumento para a afetação do Instituto Português do Património Arquitectónico (IPPAR) a partir de 1996.

No início de 2010 registou-se o desmoronamento parcial do monumento devido ao mau tempo ocorrido na região.



Caracteristics

The Castle of Campo Maior, in Alentejo, is located in the parish of São João Baptista, village of Campo Maior, municipality of Campo Maior and district of Portalegre, in Portugal.

Erected on top of the hill of Santa Vitória to defend the Alentejo streak, from the top of its towers can be seen neighboring Badajoz and Elvas. Currently the monument integrates the Campo Maior fortress, after Elvas, the most important fortification in the District.

Built at a height of 299 meters above sea level, the medieval castle and fence are oriented towards Spanish territory. The ramparts of the castle were made of stone masonry in rows, mortars with lime, identifying some spouts and wedge blocks. Its top was originally reinforced by six rectangular towers, also in tandem, of which only two remain today. Both battlements of the walls, as well as those of the towers, have a pyramidal trunk with roundness at the top. The towers have, inside, a room with a vaulted ceiling; the tower to the north boasts a Renaissance-style window.

The fence of the village, to the south, has a trapezoidal shape, reinforced with seven turrets: six rectangular and one octagonal, to the northeast, defending the entrance gate. The walls are lowered, as are the towers, allowing gunshots to be shot. Only one of the towers, to the southwest, next to one of the false doors, presents battlements; in the southeast sector, the Chapel of the Senhor dos Aflitos stands out.

History

The primitive human occupation of its site is lost in prehistory. It is believed that it was inhabited successively by Celtic, Roman and Muslim, to be regained by Christian forces from the kingdom of León in the 13th century, after 1230. The first charter of Campo Maior dates back to 1260, granted by the Bishop of Badajoz.

The village was conquered by Portuguese forces between 1295 and 1296. However, it would only be definitively incorporated into the domains of D. Dinis (1279-1325) due to the Treaty of Alcanises (1297). In order to increase his population and ensure his defense, the sovereign granted him a Charter of Foral and ordered the reconstruction of his castle (1310).

In view of the population's growth and its strategic importance over the Alentejo, D. João II (1481-1495) expanded his defenses, raising a new surrounding fence that inscribed the entire village within the walls. These works continued under the reign of D. Manuel I (1495-1521), when it was figured by Duarte de Armas in his Book of Fortresses (1509).

In the 17th and 18th centuries, due to the modernization of offensive strategy, the defense of the village was remodeled with the introduction of bastioned lines and the construction of new military installations, transforming the medieval settlement into a fortress.

The medieval complex was severely damaged on September 16, 1732. At around 3 am, during a violent storm, a lightning hit the big tower of the castle, used as a powder magazine. At that moment, the stockpile stored 88 tons of powder and five thousand ammunition. The violent explosion was followed by a vast fire, which, in addition to the fatal victims, consumed more than half of the houses in the village, destroying not only the castle but also the medieval fence.

In the 20th century, the castle was classified as a National Monument by Decree published on March 18, 1911. In the first half of the 1940s, the Directorate-General for National Buildings and Monuments (DGEMN) initiated works to consolidate and restore the complex, characterized by reconstruction work. A second stage of construction began in the second half of the 1960s, extending to the beginning of the 1970s, marked by interventions in the castle walls and in the Chapel of Nossa Senhora dos Aflitos. A third stage took place in the 1980s, passing the monument to the Portuguese Institute of Architectural Heritage (IPPAR) since 1996.

In early 2010, the monument partially collapsed due to bad weather in the region.



Cache

Esta cache leva-nos a conhecer o Castelo de Campo Maior.

Sejam discretos na sua procura. Trata-se de um container pequeno sem material de escrita.

This cache takes us to visit the Castle of Campo Maior.

Be discreet in the search. It's a small container without writing material.

This page was generated by Geocaching Portugal Listing Generator


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[PT] Ab pnagb, gncnqn cbe crqenf
[EN] Va gur pbeare, pbirerq ol ebpxf

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.