Opened in 1871 on the Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway and originally called Caldwell, which was the name for the majority of the station's existence. It was renamed Uplawmoor when the Uplawmoor station on the Lanarkshire & Ayrshire Railway close in April 1962. Uplawmoor (GB&K) closed finally in November 1966.
The only other name that the station was known by was "Tannochbrae" when it was used as a filming location for Dr Finlay's Casebook.
Members of the Neilston Curling Club used to have discounted travel to their curling pond nearby, with a return journey being permitted for the cost of a single. A bit of a change from today, when some return journeys in the SPTE area are cheaper than a single!
The station building, which is on the same side of the road as the cache and is between the cache and the road brdge, is now a private residence.