The West Highland Railway was opened from Glasgow to Fort William in August 1894 by the North British Railway. A short branch line was laid from Fort William to Banavie Station at the top of Neptune's Staircase on the Caledonian Canal and opened in 1895. This served the canal for passenger and freight purposes. Sufficient traffic resulted from this, that the West Highland Railway had their own designated wharf at the top of Neptune's Staircase.
Following the opening of the Mallaig Extension Railway in 1901, which also had a station called Banavie, the original Banavie Station was renamed as Banavie Pier.
In 1923 the North British Railway became part of the London North Eastern Railway. Passenger services officially ceased to Banavie Pier on 4th September 1939, but the final service ran 11 days later. Frieght services ceased on 6th August 1951. The line of the branch can still be recognised on the ground from the aligment of the driveway leading up to the old station, the bridge abutments on the Blar Mhor/Camaghael Road, the accesses to houses between that road and the current A830 and the bridge abutments and embankments (partially overgrown) either side of the A830.
For further information on the series, please visit www.sidetrackedseries.info
About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website