The previous SideTracked at this location has been archived. You can find the listing here.
The station is located on the line first opened by the Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston and Eastern Junction Railway on 15 July 1850 but the station itself was not opened until 1855 by the Great Northern Railway after they had taken over the line. The masters lodge and ticket office building was designed by Thomas Chambers Hine. A single image can be found online showing how the station looked in 1967, but sadly cannot be reproduced here. The buildings have long since gone but would have stood on what is now the small carpark and holding yard. There is a small 1980s brick-built shelter on one platform.
Elton & Orston station regularly features in the top 10 least used stations in the UK. In 2014/15 it was the least used station in the UK but since then user numbers have rocketed to a MASSIVE 164 per year! This is largely due to there only being one train a day that stops at the station and no weekend service at all.