Historic Lebreton Flats Adventure Lab Bonus
-
Difficulty:
-
-
Terrain:
-
Size:
 (micro)
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions
in our disclaimer.
NOTE: THIS CACHE IS GENERALLY NOT ACCESSIBLE DURING THE ANNUAL BLUESFEST FESTIVAL!
Historic LeBreton Flats was named after Lieutenant John LeBreton(1779-1848), one of Nepean Township's first settlers (c. 1819) and a hero of the War of 1812, as an officer in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and between April and October 1812 he acted as adjutant to the Voltigeurs Canadiens. By the mid-19th century, LeBreton Flats developed into a mixed community to serve the lumber mills on the nearby Chaudière and Victoria islands. A rail line came in with a station and yards, and industries developed in turn. There was also housing for both the workers and owners, as well as hotels and taverns. The area was ravaged by the Great Fire of 1900, which had started across the river in Hull (now Gatineau, Quebec), but crossed over by way of the great stacks of piled lumber on the islands. The fire destroyed the neighbourhood, leaving many homeless. The area was rebuilt, but the lumber barons relocated their dwellings up into the city proper above the escarpment, leaving the workers as the remaining Flats' residents.
With the 5 accompanying Lab Adventure Caches, you will be visiting:
The National Holocaust Monument which commemorates the six million Jewish men, women and children murdered during the Holocaust, and the millions of other victims of Nazi Germany and its collaborators.
The Canadian Firefighters Memorial (CFM)Intended to honour all firefighters who have died in the line of duty including full-time, part-time, volunteer, military, airport and industrial. The National Capital Commission (NCC)allocated land for the CFM in the LeBreton Flats area, close to the War Museum, just to the west of Parliament Hill.
The Fleet Street Pumping Station and Pooley's Bridge, Ottawa's oldest bridge, is a stone arch bicycle/pedestrian bridge located in LeBreton Flats east of the Canadian War Museum and south of the Portage Bridge. The three span closed spandrel stone arch structure, built in 1873, was designated as a heritage structure by the City of Ottawa in 1994. It is located beside the Fleet Street Pumping Station (Ottawa's original water works) at the end of Fleet Street and at the southwest edge of Bronson Park. The City waterworks building, including the pumping station and the aqueduct were designated as heritage in 1982. Pooley's Bridge is one of six stone arch bridges in the Lebreton Flats, all built circa 1873. All are Heritage Bridges and are designated to serve as pedestrian/bicycle facilities only. The five other bridges are all single span stone arch bridges over the aqueduct, west of Pooley's Bridge. The condition of Pooley's Bridge has been of concern for a number of years. It was necessary to undertake the controlled removal operations on the bridge in 1994, to ensure public safety.
The Royal Canadian Navy Monument is a small memorial park located at Richmond Landing, next to the Ottawa River. It commemorates the men and women who have served or are currently serving in the Royal Canadian Navy. The monument was designed by artist Al McWilliams and architects Joost Bakker and Bruce Haden, and was officially opened on 3 May 2012.
The Canadian War Museum (CWM) (French: Musée canadien de la guerre) is Canada's national museum of military history.The museum covers all facets of Canada's military past, from the first recorded instances of death by armed violence in Canadian history several hundred years ago to the country's most recent involvement in conflicts,and Canada's history of honouring and remembrance. The exhibits depict Canada's military past in its personal, national and international dimensions, with emphasis on the human experience of war and the manner in which war has affected, and been affected by, Canadians' participation. The CWM also houses the Military History Research Centre, a leading library and archival research facility, and a collection of about 500,000 artifacts. The CWM originated in 1880. Its current building opened in May 2005 and is located less than 2 km west of Canada's Parliament Buildings. The building's architecture has received professional and public acclaim.
Once you complete the 5 Lab Adventure Caches, you will be given the final co-ordinates for this cache.
I hope you enjoy the adventure!
Additional Hints
(Decrypt)
Gur pnpur vf n cer-sbez ghor.