This rather unusual and lovely war memorial stands on a small triangular island at the bottom of Stansted Hill. The original bronze memorial statue was by the sculptor Alois Stroebl and was cast in Budapest. The base is Portland Stone. The Memorial was finally erected and unveiled in 1923.
Since 1923, the statue has been twice stolen. On the first occasion in 1964 it was recovered from a quarry in Dartford, but the second time in 1995 it was finally lost and never recovered. The replacement of today was prepared by the modern sculptress, Faith Winter, and erected in 1996.
Regarding the above theft, local legend has it that the thieves pulled the statue down with a vehicle and dragged it up Malthouse Lane, apparently leaving gouged scratches all along the road's surface. It must have made a hell of a racket, but it was the dead of night so no one heard it!
Below the Second World War part of the memorial there is a small cross. There are 5 numbers, ABCDE, above Narvik (on both the front and back of the cross). Use them to find the magnetic 1.5ml container a significant walk or a short car ride away at:
N51 21. E+E A+D C+D
E0 18. B+B (C*D*C)-A
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT