Along our promenade in Port Elizabeth we have an interesting piece of architecture commonly known as the “Tin Hat”. Bexhill in the UK has two “Tin Hats” which are almost identical in design.
The Tin Hat on our beachfront has got nothing to do with the Moth, isn't a memorial neither does it have any military significance. The Governor General of the Cape (Prince Arthur of Connaught as well as Princess Arthur) paid a short farewell visit to Port Elizabeth in 1923. On this occasion Prince Arthur opened the Campanile and laid the foundation stone of the First Scouts Hall in North End. Princess Arthur opened the "Princess Promenade" in Humewood which was built in sections over several years. The official opening took place under the Promenade Dome, designed by the Assistant City Engineer JJ Burt, on 6 November 1923. The Promenade Dome is commonly known as "The Tin Hat" from its resemblance to a First Word War helmet, but couldn't have had any connection to the Moth order as it was only founded in 1927. A bronze plate was affixed to commemorate the occasion, but this has been long gone of course.
Use these co-ords to view the Bexhill Tin Hats - N 50° 50.214 E 000° 28.351

