This series highlights locations in Skagit County. These communities were formed in the early 1870's remaining up until the 1920's. Many of the names still appear on maps. A few have buildings remaining in use today. These communities and many others can be found on https:/www.skagitcounty.net/Maps/iMap/?mapjs=hist
The community of Fidalgo appears to have become official, January 21, 1871, when William Munks was appointed postmaster. Prior to this time the nearest post office was at Whatcom. The first mail was brought to the island by the steamer Mary Woodruff.
Munks settled there in the early 1860s after first visiting in 1853. He built a wharf in 1873 which steamers called regularly and the store was widely patronized by customers who came by boat, on foot, or on horseback.
Possibly the first public school in the county was built here. Then from 1917 until 1954, Fidalgo School was a four-room, eight-grade school. Each teacher taught two grades in one classroom.
In the railway boom of 1890 a station was located there which is also when the train bridge (part of the Tommy Thompson Trail) was built across to Anacortes. A second bridge also built in 1890, originally for the Fidalgo City and Anacortes Electric Railway, became a wagon bridge upon the failure of the electric railway. It remained until the 1920's.
Information was provided by the Skagit County Historical Museum in La Conner, Anacortes Museum and the Skagit River Journal. (http://skagitriverjournal.com)
Congratulations Team Moink with the FTF