This cache commemorates Old North Road station which was the second passenger station out of Cambridge on the Varsity line between Cambridge and Oxford, and opened on 7 July 1862. It was closed on 1 January 1968. This photo shows a view from the bridge on the A1198 of some of the old station buildings and signal box which are now in residential/commercial use.
This view of the station buildings in 1973 (in the same direction as the modern view above) is 5 years after closure:
A view towards the bridge over the A1198 when the station was running in the 1960's:
The main station buildings in 2020, viewed from the direction of the main A1198 road:
The aerial view shows (on the map) where the station was situated and X marks the cache position. The building layout today is very similar, but the track that can be seen (on the photograph) has been re-laid:
This map of the Varsity Line between Oxford and Cambridge shows Old North Road Station between the Toft & Kingston Goods Siding and Gamlingay Station:
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk