This cache celebrates Whittlesford Parkway station which is on the West Anglia Main Line serving the village of Whittlesford in Cambridgeshire, and also the other nearby villages of Sawston and Duxford, and the Imperial War Museum. It is on the line which runs from Cambridge to London Liverpool Street and is situated between Great Chesterford and Shelford stations.
The station opened on 30 July 1845 and was rebuilt between 1877 and 1890 (see the B/W photo below for the 1890's buildings). It used to be Whittlesford Station but was renamed Whittlesford Parkway Station in 2007.
This early 20th century black and white view at Whittlesford Station was taken from the up platform looking north towards Cambridge showing most, if not all, of the Station staff and dog, the truck horse and its driver and a couple of permanent way men. The Station was probably at its most important at this time with its 1890’s buildings connected by a covered footbridge and separated from the goods yard to the north by a level crossing. The signal box can be seen at the other side of the crossing and the very large goods shed is in the background.
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk