Chesterford Station opened on 30 July 1845, and was re-named Great Chesterford Station on 1 June 1875. It is on the West Anglia Main Line between Cambridge and London Liverpool Street and is situated between Audley End and Whittlesford Parkway (GC8V2RT) stations.
This station was once the point where the short-lived Newmarket Railway left the London to Cambridge main line. This route was authorised in 1846, opened on 3 January 1848 for goods and to passengers three days later. The Newmarket branch was an early victim of poor finance leading to closure – it was temporarily closed on 30 June 1850 and reopened on 9 September 1850, but the section between Great Chesterford and Six Mile Bottom Station (GC734FD) was closed permanently on 9 October 1851 with the opening of the direct line between Six Mile Bottom and Cambridge.
Great Chesterford Station and the southbound platform (mid 1970's)
The same view of Great Chesterford Station and the southbound platform taken from the bridge (2020). The bike racks are still there after nearly 45 years but they are different types!
A view in the London direction, taken from the northbound platform (mid 1970's)
A view of the back of the station building (2020):
A train going through the station (2020)